Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Cross


I Corinthians 2:2
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus and Him crucified.

On more than one occasion I have written, as well as spoken, that the verse from I Corinthians is my theology. I can never get away from it, even though my mind and heart desire to at times. I read Scripture with the shadow of the cross always in my mind. I am all about embracing the new life that Christ has offered me through my salvation. But new life cannot take place until there is a death to the old life. 

As much as I love Easter and the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus, such would not be possible had it not been for the cross. Jesus said, "If any one desires to come after me, let him deny himself.....Take up his cross. He didn't say let each person come out of the tomb and be resurrected, did He? No. The cross is a reminder that it isn't me that lives....it is Him in me. I believe that every person who is born and takes this journey we call carries one of two things through life. We are either burdened down by the weight of sin, or we are lifted up through the cross of Christ. Both have a direction that we follow. Both lead to eternal life. But only one can bring us complete and whole into the presence of Jesus. That would be the cross.  The darkness of sin is a downward slope and, when traveled, causes a person to lose all sense of moral direction. Do you think someone simply wakes up one morning and decides "Hey, I think I'll be a pedophile today!". No! Such behavior is the result of a long journey down sin-slope. Do you think someone decides when they use for the first time, or take that first drink..."You know what? I think I'll lose everything and become an addict!" No! The darkness of sin upon the human soul destroy's and demands more and more of the individual. Demands, and keeps on demanding until nothing is left but the life of the individual. Then sin/addiction demands that!

The cross of Christ defines who I am.
It clarifies the direction I must take.
It is branded upon my heart and my soul, that I am His child.

Yet only God could take such an instrument of hate and torture and make it beautiful. How so? Because the cross became the place where my sins were paid for. The cross became the place where Jesus, my Savior, gave His all for me so that I could enter into relationship with my heavenly Father. 
The cross is the ultimate exclamation point that breaks the power of sin.
That's the cross of Christ.
It broke the power of sin....
It destroyed the penalty of sin...
And it removes the presence of sin...
Like I said, "For I determine to know nothing among you, except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
Thanks for letting me share....

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...