Friday, May 27, 2016

Jessica Haney At VRC Tomorrow night


Psalm 18:4-6
The ropes of death entangled me; floods of destruction swept over me. 
The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path.
But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help.
He heard me from the sanctuary; my cry to Him reached His ears.

Every now and then, you run into someone whose story of recovery seems to be off the charts. They have fallen to the bottom of the bottom with no hope in sight. But.....(Isn't that a great word when you're talking about someones live story).....God steps in and begins the restoration, healing and salvation of this life. Such is one Jessica Haney. She will be speaking at VRC tomorrow night.

I first met here a few months ago when she spoke at Seth Barber's meeting. Her story isn't really much different than anyone else who has fallen through the darkness of addiction. What made her stand out to me was the love and excitement she has for the One who saved her. You could hear it in her voice as she spoke of the journey she's been on since turning will and life over to God's care. She readily acknowledges that she is a work in progress and has dedicated herself to pursing God with everything she has.

Come on out tomorrow night and hear her story.
Meeting starts at 7 p.m.
We do stamp court cards.


Sometimes we can listen to someones dark story of addiction and measure ourselves by what others have gone through.
"Well, I'm not as bad as they were."
"I never used a needle."

"I never went to prison."
Isn't that amazing that we find some sort of twisted solace in the fact that we aren't as bad as others.
Well, I hate to burst our corporate bubble, but God takes a dimmer view.
In fact, He divinely lumped us all together.

Romans 3:23
For ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Wait for it....
Here it comes....
"Who falls under "ALL"?

Everyone...
Addict and non addict.
Drunkard or someone who is sober and never taken a drink.

We all are in need of running into the One True POWER that is greater than us who can help manage our lives.
No matter how hard I try...I still fall short.
No amount of church attendance...
No amount of cash in the offering plate....
No amount of promising to do better......
Even if you learn all the verses to Amazing Grace....
You're still short.....

That, my friend, is why we need Jesus.

Hell awaits us all without Him.
I'm not sure, but I think maybe hell is a place or position that I do not wish to inhabit simply because I tried to do it my way.
Now, there is a lot more to living for and in Jesus than escaping hell.

Jesus made a statement that He had come to give us LIFE and LIFE ABUNDANT.
That means a level of life here on planet earth, this side of heaven.
Once we die (and we are all going to board that train unless He comes back first to take His church home) we will cross over and receive Eternal Life.
Seems to me like it's a win / win situation.

I don't think such a thing should be taken lightly...
Or dismissed.
But that's the beauty of this whole process of having salvation offered to us.
Everyone can choose what they want to do.
Everyone gets to choose where they want to spend life after they die.

As for me....
It's a no brainer...
I choose Jesus.

How about you?

God on you....

mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...