Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Late Night Hucksters


Psalm 103:1-2
Bless the LORD, o my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, o my soul, and forget not all His benefits.

I've been "under the weather" so to speak since Saturday.
Can't sleep because of congestion and coughing, so I have taken to my chair.
Last night, I turned on the TV to find myself caught in a Tsunami of infomercials.

"Buy this and your life will be so much better."
"Act now and we'll double the offer."

"Can't be bought in any store."
Garden hoses that shrink back to the original size....
A compound that can be sprayed on your leaking problem that a will stop the leak.

And on and on.
The subtle message is that the product being hawked will improve the quality of your life. When in fact it only adds to the clutter we surround ourselves with. We think the answer to our problems is to buy more stuff.

Now I'm not here to debate the benefit or downfall of infomercial,but I do believe that there is something in all of this that I needed to hear.
There is only one thing on this side of heaven that is going to make my life better. And that one thing has a name, and that name is Jesus.

Let's be truthful here....
Isn't that the message of the world?
"You don't need this Jesus....look at the things we have to fill up your life!"

Are you hurting...?
We've got some killer drugs here that will take away the pain.
Are you depressed?
Take this pill and you'll be all Alice Through The Looking Glass as you enter a new state of being...

Drink this and you'll be the life of the party.
Smoke this and you'll be in a suspended state of splendid bliss.

Trouble with the stuff that the world offers to us is that it is only temporary.
You'll crash and burn.
Then you'll have to come back for more....
And more...
And more...

Until your using to just feel normal again.

Sitting there in my chair last night....
With my bloodshot eyes staring at the TV...
I began to tell God how grateful I was for what He has done for me.

I began to say the names of  the people I am grateful for....
This went on for some time, until I was flooded by a sense of peace.
Got up and went to bed.

Slept really well....
Glad we have drugs to help with our illnesses...
More grateful that we have a Savior who knows our every weakness and gives us His strength to help get through the difficult times.

Thank you, Jesus...

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...