Thursday, September 8, 2016

Legacy Church


Ephesians 4:11-12
Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do His work and build up the church.

Are you looking for a church home? Somewhere to go to be fed spiritually? Then you might want to try out a new church plant in Gadsden. Legacy Church. They are located across the street from Gadsden Vineyard Church, downtown on Broad Street, between 4th and 5th streets.

Last Saturday morning during our setting up for VRC, I noticed that there was some activity going on in front of Legacy Church. Being a good neighbor, I decided to pay a visit and welcome them to the neighborhood. Age and memory playing a part, I do not remember the names of the people I met, but they were extremely friendly as they shared their history of how they came to land on Broad street. 


One of John Wimber's passion was for the Vineyard to be a bridge builder to other churches. To reach out and connect, to help in any way needed, and to bring unity to the body of Christ. In some ways, I have the same vision. Truth be known, my bridge building comes in the form of recovery meetings at other churches. I do have a group of pastor's who call on me to fill in for them when they have to be away from their home church. That is a high honor for me, to fill in and teach. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the body of Christ in Gadsden should not be seen as being in competition with each other. Years ago, before we landed at the Vineyard, Vicki and I were trying to find a home church,so we visited a number of different groups. We finally landed in a new church and began to attend. Then a strange thing happened that I never will forget. One day, during Sunday school, the teacher stood and began to give a stirring speech about the destiny and mission of this new church plant. He ended his speech by saying that "We had been founded by God and we were there to wipe out the competition."   Wipe out the competition? Aren't we all on the same side? Other churches were our competition? I understood his heart for being the best we could be...but to do so at the expense of our fellow churches....way off the mark here buddy.

So you see, I hope Legacy church becomes everything God has birthed it to be. I pray blessings over the pastor and his family. I pray that the word of God be taught, and that people come to the saving knowledge of who Jesus truly is. 

This coming Sunday, September 11th, at 10:30 a.m.  Legacy church will meet for the first time in their new location. Please pray for these folks, and if you're free you might want to go out and meet with them.  Crazy thought I just had....wouldn't it be wild if the entire block between 4th and 5th became filled with churches. How cool would that be. Kind of like a church "mall".

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...