Tuesday, August 29, 2017

In Need Of A Good Anchor

Anchor.....
Definition:  something that serves to hold an object firmly In place or that gives a feeling of stability 

I like this definition.....

Something that gives a feeling of stability....
Something that serves to hold me firmly...not allowing me to return to old ways...old thoughts...old behaviors, even though everything in me screams that I should.

This is the battle between addiction and recovery that is fought every day when someone is moving from that old darkness into the new light of relationship with Christ.

Truth be known, the anchor that brings stability to a person who is in addiction comes in the form of a simple truth. A truth that can never be strayed from. A truth that provides ground on which to wage war against the beast that rages and rails against you. What is that truth?

Step # 1- We admitted that we were powerless over our problem (addiction) that our lives had become unmanageable.
Holding on to that thought, coupled with this new life I have found in Christ, keeps me on an even keel. It keeps "Self" under wraps, so to speak, and keeps me focused on following Christ in my daily affairs. (Practicing these principals). It keeps me seeking to improve my conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will and the power to carry it out. 

I never seek to replace God in the equation.
I never seek to compromise the truth that I am powerless.
I never allow the thought of "I got this" to enter into the equation.
I set my mind.....
I set my heart on things above, not on the affairs of this world.
Why?
Because I am powerless in this battle. When self will comes in and tries to take over, I have to shut it down, looking only to Christ to strengthen me.


Romans 7:18-20 - And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

Now to show you how sneaky this "sinful nature" is, it will try to talk you into using by telling you..."See, you can't help it! It's not your fault. All those people get mad at you, but they don't really understand, do they?" 
Part of the understanding about addiction is very simple. It is almost like a living organism.
Addiction is cunning..........baffling.....and powerful. It will twist your thoughts. Heap wave after wave of confusion on you....and will whisper in your ear that you will never be able to defeat it on your own. There is some truth in that last statement. You can't defeat it and still replace it with abundant life, but there is One who can, and His name is Jesus.


John 8:31-32 - Jesus said to the people who believed in Him, "You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Jesus said that freedom comes from knowing the truth.
Not "some" truth....
Not "A" truth....
But the real-deal-slap-you-down-pick-you-up truth.

Isn't that weird....
Because later on Jesus makes the claim that "HE IS THE TRUTH"....
So freedom from my addiction comes from working those first 3 steps.


The key to any recovery is always remembering that we are powerless...
Our need for Christ as our higher power will never go away...
We will always look to Him to lead us through the pitfalls, traps, and snares that daily life throws in our path.
Believe you me....
That is the truth....

Step # 1 and my admission of being powerless is the anchor that keeps me in a stable place, not wanting to wander off. It keeps me tied because I know that God can do for me what I cannot do for myself.
You can bank on it.

Some call Jesus the Rock...
I call Him my anchor.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...