Thursday, December 7, 2017

Jeff


Well....
it's been a year since you left us....
We've gone through a whole bunch of "first's".

First Christmas without you...
First New Years...
First Valentines day...
Your birthday...
And on and on and on...

Looking at your picture, I see a whole lot of your dad in you. Never really noticed that before.

The crazy part in this whole thing is that life goes on.
Only life is a lot harder without you.

There have been good days and then there were days when you filled my thoughts and my heart. Memories would come and I would be warmed by them, and yet at the same time, It would only magnify your not being here.

If not for God, I don't think the family could have survived this past year, as your wife, mom, dad, and sister met each day with a strength not born of human will or ability. Only God could dispatch such things through His Holy Spirit, as He poured out great grace to move forward.


I guess the greatest gift you could have left us happened over this past year. We got to see the thousands of lives you touched, as people reached out to offer their condolences in your passing. Your kindness, your friendship, your love has brought people from all over the country to honor you and celebrate your life. What a testimony! I do know that this old world would be an even better place is there were a couple of thousand "Jeff's" out there doing what you did.

Jeff, last week a good friend of mine died. I wrote something about him that I want to share here. Some say that time heals all wounds....well it doesn't. It just makes life a bit more bearable each day." That is to say that we've managed to make it through this year. And the hope that we hang on to....the hope that we embrace is that God is who He claims to be, and will do what He has promised He would do. In this, we know that our separation is momentary. We will see you again. Even as I write this, a smile comes to me because I can see you at this reunion..."What took you guys so long!!!"

So as we move deeper into this Christmas season, I rest in the knowledge and truth that you are celebrating every day with the One who came to this earth as a baby, and opened a door for us to pass through into relationship with our Heavenly Father.

Merry Christmas Jeff!
I miss you and I love you....


God on you...
mbb

1 comment:

Sue Bynum said...


Michael: thank you so much for these loving, encouraging words about Jeff and his life while on this earth. Today has been a challenging day to say the least as we faced this "first" year marker since his death. I've cried, smiled, laughed and somehow got through the day without totally falling apart. (Some days are just harder than others, aren't they?) Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Much love to you and Vicki.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...