Wednesday, December 13, 2017

I Saw Three Gift's Last Night



Ephesians 4:7-8
But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift. Therefore He says, "When He (Jesus) ascended on high He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men."

One of the greatest pleasures I have is to watch the Holy Spirit form and shape and individual who has renounced the old life of addiction, and embrace this new journey with Jesus. It isn't something that happens in an instant. It takes time as the person's heart is transformed and filled with His presence.

Last night, after the Bible study at Rapha, I stood talking with three of the men who had attended. I began to notice that as we talked, each one of these men had a specific topic they wanted to discuss. As I stood there listening, I saw three men who were in the process of being transformed into this new life I've written about. The center of our conversation was Christ, but each one had a specific view of their own personal journey.

The first man asked some very deep theological questions....Not to gain information, but to understand better. I tried as best I could to answer his questions, but it became apparent that this man was headed to being an apologetic, or one who defends the faith and belief of who Christ is. His questions were thoughtful and he was very humble as he asked each one. He was not trying to elevate himself, or trying to show me how spiritual he was. He had a passion to see and understand the Scripture.

The second man told me part of his story. To be honest, his story wasn't much different than countless others I have listened to. Raised in church, turned away when he was a teenager. Made bad choices and began this slippery slope we call addiction. This last rodeo he was on wound him back in jail again. Only this time, something was different. He wanted a Bible to read......no, it was more like He needed a Bible to read........Naw, that doesn't do it justice......He HAD to have a Bible to read. Finally someone brought him one. He began to devour it. He began to pray, not to be released from jail, but to know God and His word. He told me that it was like a fire had been lit inside of his heart. So this man has been given a passion for Jesus and the Word.

The third man is always early for our Bible study. Whenever I arrive at the Chapel, he is either seated at the piano or holding a guitar. Head bent down, he plays melodies and hums softly while the music flows out from him. Usually at Rapha whenever someone gains access to musical instruments, the first thing they want to do is to play a secular selection of every rock song they know. "Highway To Hell"...."Stairway To Heaven...."Free Bird"....and the list goes on and on and on, with music that defined them when they were out there running the streets. But not this man. As I sat there before time for the Bible Study to take place, that chapel was strangely warmed by this music that he was playing. I knew that I knew (well, at least let me say that God spoke concerning this man) that this man had a worshiper's heart. He spoke of all these melodies he hears in his mind, and how they all seem to be trying to come out at one time.

As our conversation wound down, I asked the three men if I could pray for them. They all said, "Yes." I asked God to bless them and increase these gifts that had been given to each of them. I asked that God would grant them to vision and strength to allow the Holy Spirit to unwrap these gifts and let them be given to the world. Each man received what I prayed.

As we turn to leave the chapel, I could not help but think that "yes, it is Christmas time, but God has given three gifts to three men who never in their wildest dreams saw themselves as they are today. If that be truly so, then imagine where they will be next Christmas.
That God is something else, isn't He?

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.
God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...