Monday, July 9, 2018

Kingdom Call...Kingdom Power...Kingdom Work




Matthew 8:2-3
A man with leprosy came and knelt before Him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man, "I am willing," He said. "Be clean!" Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy."

That voice....
I'd recognize it anywhere.

For eight years I listened to that voice. He taught me. He stretched my belief's. He challenged me. The voice belongs to John Wimber. At one time, John was the face (and voice) of the Vineyard.

After my ordination as pastor, I took full advantage of the library of tapes that Gadsden Vineyard Church owned. IN some ways, they became my seminary. They help to form my theology and belief about the Kingdom of God. They helped me to see that Jesus has called every believer to participate in the Kingdom work of Christ. Funny part in all of this is that if God has indeed called every believer to participate...then would it not make sense that He would equip us for such a work and call? I believe the answer would be yes.

I grew up in church...
The church WAS my family....

But my understanding of church and how it operated was that the pastor was the main instigator of Kingdom work. Those of us who sat in the pews were to help him. He came up with the vision and direction for the church. Even though I had read Ephesians 4:12, I did not understand that the main duty of a pastor was to Equip  the people for works of service (or ministry) so that the body of Christ may be built up. Now my mind told me that "works" or "Ministry" simply meant that I was to be given a job at church that help take care of some of the day to day things that had to be done in order for the church to function.

I didn't understand that I was called to participate in the works of Jesus. In fact I didn't even see this when I read Matthew 28:18-20.
Here is the rundown on these verses.

#1 - Jesus lays foundation for future ministry by saying ALL authority has been given to Him by His Father in heaven. 
  A.) Authority that extends to heaven...all the way down to earth.

#2 - He then commands (not suggest) His followers to "GO"....

#3 - In the going, these disciples are to make other disciples.
       A.) Oh yeah, when Jesus said that all authority had been
       given to Him, the inference of us "Going" means that 
       we go because His authority has now been given to us.

#4 - Make sure that those who are brought into our spiritual family are baptized.

#5 - Teaching them.....(not in a classroom, but by modeling before them) to observe ALL THINGS that That I have commanded you.
    A.) You could say that this teaching and learning is the
        earliest form of "On the job" training.

   B.) So what falls under Jesus' teaching that the 
       disciples were given by Jesus, that they are to 
       reproduce with these new disciples or followers?
        1.) Well, according to Matthew 10:1...Jesus gave
        them power over unclean spirits ( uh...that 
        would be demons. He also gave them the power
        and authority to heal all kinds of sickness
        and all kinds of diseases.

#6 - Jesus closes out by saying..."I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
     A.) In other words, He has given us His Holy Spirit to
     be the guide and source of the power needed to carry
     out the kingdom work.

I know that as some of you read what I've written today, your mind will tell you that you can't do any of these things...cast out demonic spirits....heal anyone who is sick much less someone who has a disease, and you would be right. You can't.
But Jesus still can.
The Holy Spirit given to every believer can and will.

God the Father has not changed the churches marching orders.
When ever we pray "Your kingdom come....your will be done...here on earth as it is being done in heaven, we are asking God to use us in this divine engagement of His authority and power being brought to bear for the salvation of those who do not know Jesus.


Think on these things today....
God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...