Monday, April 17, 2023

THE FOURTH MAN


 Did you see Him yesterday? last Week? Did you feel His presence? Were you aware that you were being looked over by Him? Or did the flames of the day consume you and your thoughts to the point that you were totally overwhelmed.

I've always loved reading Daniel chapter 3 and how God took care of the three Hebrew men who refused to bow and worship the idol set up by king Nebuchadnezzar. It's easy to sit here and proclaim what we would or would not have done had we been in a similar circumstance, but these three were dead set that they would serve God no matter what.

I don't know what their mindset was as they were being led to what was suppose to be their place of death. These three were going to be made an example of for the rest of the people in that country. I don't know if they were fearful.........if there were seeds of doubt that fell away as the resolve to serve God grew stronger and stronger. I do know that at some point they were thrown into the fire. What should have been the end of the story turned out to be only the beginning.

I do know that after throwing these three Hebrews into the fire, old Nebuchadnezzar began to do some math. "Did we not throw three men into the furnace?" His nasty minions replied, "You bet we did!". But God peeled away the veil of this world and gave the king sight to see something that had no rational explanation. Three went in.........but the king saw four. And there was something about that fourth man that was different. The king kept counting over and over....1..2..3...no that can't be right. 1....2....3.....FOUR!!! The king described the fourth man as one like the Son of God.

Sometimes when the things of this world seek to destroy us....seek to throw us "into a furnace"...we need to remember this even that took place. No matter where we find ourselves....no matter our situation....no matter if the flames are licking at our feet.....when our choice falls to serving God no matter what there is always the 4th man standing with us. Just as the three Hebrews were not promised to be delivered, they held firm to who God is as well as the power and authority He alone possesses. 

If you read Daniel 3:17 you will will find some of the most powerful words ever spoken by mortal man. "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O' king that we do not serve your gods, or will we worship the gold image you have set up."

Basically what they said was, "Hey King...our God can deliver us. But even if He doesn't He is still God." That is mindset and the heart I want to take out into my day here on April 17th. That no matter what I face or what situation comes at me, I will not bend to it.... I will not bow to it....and I will follow my God even if it means walking into the flames.

We serve a great God!

God on you.....

michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...