Thursday, March 12, 2009

May 20, 1994

This is a day where everything changed for me.
I found the entry in my journal and as I read it, I saw things that I now know today that were not evident on that day back in 1994. I wrote about them but didn't really understand where it would lead Vicki and me.

ENTRY:
This day may become a red letter day and turning point in my life.
I was in the parking lot of Mid-South this morning and was finishing up reading OPEN CHURCH.
My heart was crying out, "Yes, yes, why can't it be like this?" God spoke and said, "It can be, and you can do it."
In a few moments, I had the plan for how this was to happen.

I am to start a kinship style meeting.
A place where freedom to worship as well as share will be the rule.
I want to give a voice to those who have no voice, to elevate them to a level of action and interaction that will cause growth as the Holy Spirit works within all who attend.
This is to be done with out the name denomination attached to any part of it.

Those words concerning those who have no voice was a prophetic word concerning what Vicki and I are currently doing. I had no clue or ideal that God would lead us in the direction he did. To be honest with you when I started putting together a list of who I would invite to our first meeting, there weren't any addicts or alcoholics listed. In fact Vicki and I sent out 20 invitations to people who we thought might benefit from our meeting. Not one of those people came. Instead we began to see others show up. They would come with their hurts and pains all looking for something that was real. We really didn't know what to do or how to do it, but that was God's way of teaching us. Not knowing what or how to do something puts us in a good place where we have to rely on God.
Those early days were heady and scary and we spent a lot of time praying, "Oh God, oh God, Oh God!" Realizing that without God we are nothing. We can not do anything apart from Him. It was that day in May of 1994 that opened the door for where I am today. That is why each day I get up asking, "What today Lord?" Because I know that God is already at work, and all I have to do is follow Him.
Look for the red letter days in your life. Oh, they may not seem to be huge at the moment and in fact you may have the "not me" thought in your head. Trust me, God will use you.

God on you........

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...