Monday, April 13, 2009

You Just Do It


From time to time someone asks me a question that seems to follow me around.
"How can you do what you do?" My first reaction always brings a smile to me. "How can I not do it?"
I think this is where God's Spirit comes into play. He is the one who calls and equips and sends. Our job is merely to follow.
I remember a statement John Wimber once made when someone came to him asking to be ordained as a Pastor. John replied, "If you can do anything else........go do it." By that he meant that being a pastor or walking out any call from God becomes the sole reason for your existence. You can't do anything else if you have a call on your life. Oh that doesn't mean you don't have times where you want to quit. You do. But the call takes precedent over every area of your life. Sometimes you feel as old as the man in the picture. Maybe not in years, but definitely in the mileage. You grow weary of death and pain and destruction. Sometimes you feel like it outweighs every thing good and positive. Truth be known, this is just life. Maybe not the life you are familiar with , but it is the life I know of.
When I first came to Rapha in 1998, I had no idea that it would lead to this today. I began to understand and catch glimpses of what God was doing around the latter part of 1999. I knew that He was preparing me to be at Rapha full time. Now God is preparing my wife. I don't know how it will work or when it will happen, but she has a call on her life. I chose the picture for this posting because some days I feel like the old man. There are times when God speaks through me and there is wisdom that I do not possess. Other times, I feel as though I am simply babbling.
I've seen a lot over the past 11 years. I grown up a lot by the things God has allowed me to participate in. I've learned that when God calls, He also provides. I learn to look with my faith and not my eyes. I've learned to reason with my heart and spirit and not by my own understanding.
From time to time someone will ask me, "aren't you afraid of being with all those men....I mean they are felons and addicts." I always reply, "At least I know that." Walking the streets in town is more scary to me. You don't know who those folks are. That was just a play for humor. God has given me a love and a heart for people who are addicted. It is a heart that had to learn what real love and compassion was. I was caught off guard by what it looked like. Real love turns people loose who aren't ready to receive it. The love doesn't stop but it doesn't enable either. It simply states, "I'll be here when you're ready to change."
We celebrated Easter with a meal yesterday. Vicki spent a gazillion hours prepping and cooking for the noon meal at Rapha. She sat tables with china and flatware. Centerpieces at each table, table coverings and bowls of food on each table to be passed by the men. One by one they filed in and sat down. This was different for them. It was to bring dignity to their lives. That the best had been prepared and placed before them. We prayed and sat down. My wife, from a mother's heart, watched as the men ate. There was much conversation and much laughter. This is her role at Rapha. She has a gift of saying truly hard things to others that they need to hear. She spent time with different men talking to them and encouraging them. Like I said, she has a call also.
I do not want to give the impression that somehow what we do or who we are makes us special. It doesn't. I just wanted to share of what goes on in our lives. I celebrate where ever God has called you to be, for there and only there will you flourish and grow.
My oldest son, Chad, is a basketball coach. I have watched him minister to young men.
My daughter in law, Robin, is a math teacher. I have watched her minster to the kids in her class.
My other son, Josh, and his wife, Heater, are both teachers of music. I have watched as they have taught and trained others, and through music worship God.
Wherever God has called you to........go there and be all He wants you to be.

God on you.......
He is still Risen!
mb

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

you guys are heroes.....you may not want to believe it....but you are. God bless you guys for what you do.....you remind me of parents of many many children.... God has opened up both of your hearts.....it's really beautiful.

Greene Street Letters said...

Thank you for the kind words..
I receive them
m/vb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...