Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Now That Was Some Crunchy Pickle!

Acts 2:2
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.........

Pentecost!
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Just as it was when Jesus died.....
Just as it was when Jesus rose from the dead.....
Just as it was when Jesus ascended back to heaven.....
After the day of Pentecost, the world would never be the same.
Life would never be the same for those who were alive on that day.
Life would never be, even for us, the same as it was before the day of Pentecost.

Prior to this day, God dispensed His Holy Spirit according to what individual He (God) was working through. He only gave His Spirit to those He called to do His bidding.
People such as John the Baptizer, King David, Deborah, Elijah, Jeremiah, Daniel, and so on.
But in the book of Joel a word is prophesied that there was coming a time when the Spirit of God would be poured out on all flesh. What falls under the word "ALL"? Everyone. Saved and unsaved. We need to remember just because something is poured out doesn't mean everyone is going to receive it gladly. Some will reject this pouring out of God's Spirit. But the bottom line is that we live in a time where the Holy Spirit of God is offered to all who are saved.

I like the way Luke describes the coming of the Holy Spirit. He likened it to a mighty rushing wind that filled the place where they were sitting. To me it's kind of like a new jar of pickles.
What happens when you first open it? There is that whooshing sound as air rushes into the jar and fill the vacuum that was inside. Prior to the Holy Spirit coming, mankind existed in this kind of vacuum. God was speaking. Jesus had been here and had ministered and completed his calling by dying and then being resurrected from the dead. But not until the lid was opened and the promised comforter was sent by the Father did everything began to expand and grow. The church grew by 3000 the very first day the Holy Spirit was poured out. Missionaries were raised up and went forth to take the word out of Jerusalem to the utter most parts of the earth. How would you like your town or village to be labeled "THE UTTER MOST PARTS OF THE EARTH?" I don't know, sometimes I feel as though Attalla is part of that label. But even here in Attalla, we are privilege to be under the guidance and moving of God's Holy Spirit.

Sometimes I think we discount this incredible gift that has been poured out on us and filled within us. Think about it. We have access to God 24/7 / 365 days a year. It wasn't like when Jesus walked the earth. Even though that would have been an incredible time to be alive, the disciples did not always have access to him. He would go off to be by himself (How do you think the disciples felt when this happened?) He would be taken up by crowds and have to devote his full attention to them. But now........with the Holy Spirit inside me, I am never away from Jesus. He is my mediator that sits at the right hand of God the Father and lives to intercede on my behalf. That is beyond cool...that is just downright out there. The one thing I do not want to do is take all of this for granted. I want to learn to listen and interact with the Holy Spirit as he guides me into all truth (John 16:13). I want to learn to live and obey under the power of the Holy Spirit as he cover me ( Acts 1:8).

We read in John 14:28 concerning the Holy Spirit:
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
This pouring out of God's Holy Spirit gives me a compass, a guide that (if I listen to and obey) will lead me into all truth. Truth about myself. Truth about God's plan and how I fit into it. Truth about every facet of my life. That is a true gift beyond price of any kind and God has seen fit to equip all His children with the Holy Spirit.

Ask God to help you to be receptive to the leading of His Holy Spirit today.
Spend some time thanking God for such a wonderful gift that has been placed inside of you.

God on you today!
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...