Monday, April 26, 2010

God SO!

John 3:16
For God SO loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

I have heard this verse, read this verse and been aware of this verse for more years than I can remember.
From the earliest days of my childhood, my mother made sure that this verse was ever present in my heart and mind.
Funny part was that it did not really, really jump out at me until 1998. It came in the most unusual fashion at the most opportune time.

I had started a Saturday night recovery service at the Vineyard and was in my office 3 hours prior to the start of the service. I know this may come as a shock to some of you, but I did not have a message. Three hours before the service was to start, I was in a kind of panic mode. "Oh God, Oh God...if you don't want me to speak, that's alright, but if you do, you have got to give me something. I was in the floor of my office (I thought that might help with getting something from God...silly me) when a verse floated through my mind.....John 3:16. John 3:16? Everyone knows that one Lord, give me something else. John 3:16 would not go away. "Come on, God...that is probably the most used verse in Christianity..I." BLAM! IT was clear as a bell. God spoke "How dare you have such disregard for my Word!" Uh oh....I was in trouble. After apologizing to God and telling him I would not do so again, the John 3:16 verse began to unravel in a new and wonderful way.

It was such a simple thing.
God did not just love the world.
He SO Loved it.
The interjection of that little word "so" changed the verse.
SO meant that there was intent and purpose to the love.
That there was a plan here at work.
It may not be evident in this verse but that little word SO changed the entire meaning.
God didn't have affection.
God wasn't mildly infatuated.
God SO Loved. He was SO Moved by this creation that he put into place the most incredible series of events that went far beyond what mankind could conceive or imagine to restore this planet and humanity to His original intention.

Knowing this should make us be aware that God's hand is at work around us, even today.
Even when we don't see it or are even aware of it. God is working his plan.
It isn't an ego thing on God's part.
He didn't have to do it this way.
He could have wiped the slate clean and started over. I mean, who would have known that it had happened? No one.
But God SO Loved the world that from this choice (Love is a choice...I choose to love) God has opened the door for you and me to have this wonderful ongoing relationship with him.
How cool is that.
Know that your Father in heaven loves you.
Know that if this God and Jesus is new to you and you haven't surrendered your heart and life to him, He is waiting to receive you.
Drugs makes you high.
Alcohol makes you high.
But God will give you an eternal high.

God on you...........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...