Friday, April 9, 2010

What Do I Believe....


I Believe.....

The Bible is the inerrant word of God. Totally true, totally for us today as a practical means to demonstrate our faith. The Holy Spirit tells me where and when....the Bible tells me how.
Too many can't get beyond stories and parables to see that we are to take the examples given and make sure we don't repeat the same mistakes.
I Believe......
That Jesus was fully God and fully man. I can't explain it but there isn't anything inside me that would cause me to doubt this statement. If you're big on proof, the only proof I can offer is my life. I know the real me (the stinky, messy part) and i know that I have been changed. All of this change began when I started this journey in relationship with Jesus.
I don't want to "religi-size" my statements or couch them in "church-speak". I want my language to be as normal as possible when I talk of Jesus and what he has done through me.
Everything I do, I want to point back to Jesus and not draw attention to myself. It ain't about me (Sorry bout the bad English, I am Southern you know)
I Believe.....
That prayer is more than empty words floating around in the ether.
Prayer is my heart locking on (like radar) to God's heart. When that happens, my prayers becomes his prayers. As I pray them back to God, He act's on them. It kind of the physical part of the Lord's prayer...you know, when we pray "Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." How do you think His will gets done? Through those who are followers of Jesus. They breathe back to God the things that the Holy Spirit has placed on their hearts and God moves on these prayers. It wasn't until I did a study of John Wimber's teaching that I saw the error of my prayers. For too long, my prayers were like trying to hit a dove with a shotgun. You simply fired into the air and hoped that you hit something. As John taught me that prayer is simply me repeating to God what His Holy Spirit has placed on my heart, it all clicked and I began a new way of praying. I learned that I didn't have to talk God into something. I didn't have to beg him to heal someone. I didn't have to qualify those I was praying for....."Lord, you know she has worked in the nursery here at church for 26 years (Like this bumped her to the head of the line for God to answer the prayer). " God's heart is to move on prayer.
I Believe.....
That the body of Christ is multi-faceted and diverse. There are many flavors that make up the body (denominations) and just because you aren't particular to a certain flavor doesn't mean that others don't like it. I have discovered that it is alright to have preferences in what you like as far as the type of service. Just don't let your preference become a law that you hold up to others. You might like a certain type of music in worship....Nothing wrong with that. Just don't look at others and proclaim them to be ungodly for their style of worship. Me.....personally I can't stand Southern Gospel music. When I was growing up, my parents drugged me (I am not exaggerating) to Gospel singing every Sunday. These were not 1 or 2 hour events. These were all day affairs. For me to have to sit there all day was not my cup of tea, so to this day, my preference for music does not lean toward Southern Gospel. But you know what? I do recognize and appreciate those men and women who do sing that style. Why? Because I recognize the value of it. I recognize that God indeed uses the words and music to stir hearts and draw others into relationship with Him. That is the beauty of the body of Christ. Appreciate and embrace the worship that draws you and stirs your heart. Bless all the rest.
God is a good God isn't he?
God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...