Tuesday, April 13, 2010

X..XI....IV....VI...QU...IC....K !



Roman Numerals....
Believe it or not, when I was in Elementary school, we had to learn how to
count by Roman Numerals.
A few months of this torturous activity and I quickly discovered why
the Roman empire fell.
It was too hard too count....
Scene: A Tent when Roman commanders gather to discuss strategy for the
upcoming campaign against the Visigoths.
General # 1 (Maximus Ventus) "What is the strength of the enemy...number wise?"
Peon # 1 : "Well....it's, let's see....uh....er....XXL, no that's not right."
"I'm sorry sir, what comes after LLXX MC?"
General: "Er....humph.....cough...Just guess, man, just guess!"
Peon #1 - A whole bunch of 'em.
I remember struggling to learn how to count.
I remember thinking to myself, "What good is this? I'll never use it."
Truth is, I haven't used Roman numerals much outside of figuring out when movies were made or what year a particular television show came one.
(read the credit's...watch for the Roman Numerals! Voila')
Maybe what didn't make sense at the time had a greater benefit than I could comprehend.
Isn't that like God?
He asks us to do something or leads us in a particular direction and we just don't get it.
We kick against the directives from Him and we whine and we gripe.
All the while He is trying to get us to see the bigger picture.
Genesis 6:14-- God commands Noah to make yourself (interesting choice of words)
an ark of gopher wood.
God goes on to give the instructions on how and why to do this.
But to Noah's mind, he must of thought, this is a lot of work.
It wasn't like the ark came in pre-fabricated form.
No.
There were trees to be cut down.
Then shaped.
Cut into boards..
It was hard.
Do you think Noah, at any point, stopped and thought, this is crazy.
"When am I going to need such a boat?"
Years went by. Noah remained faithful.
Then came the day the animals showed up.
God told everyone to get inside the ark,
and the rain began to fall.
And it fell some more.
And it kept on falling.
30 days, 31 days....on and on.
38 days, 39 days....40 days.
Finally Noah understood why God had directed him to build the ark.
That is the way I want to be.
Not quibble about the "why" of God's directive,
and simply do.
Lesson Learned.
I want to get it the first time around.
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...