Saturday, April 10, 2010

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z


Hebrews 6:15
Then Abraham waited patiently, and he received what God had promised

In an age of unbridled "doing" and "moving.....
waiting is not the forte of most folks.
Texting, Internet, I-phones, Me-phones and You-phones have the ether full of communication. The appearance of being connected and actually moving forward with ones life is the du'jour of the day.
Waiting is not.
Those who wait will hear the old adage "Snooze...you loose."
I do not find that to be true.
In fact most of my relationship with Jesus is played out in waiting.
Waiting for Him to instruct me on the next thing I am to do.
Waiting to hear from Him on what it is He desires.
Sometimes waiting for Jesus is simply His way of getting me to rest.

After all, in the 23rd Psalm it reads that "He makes me lie down in green pastures."
Did you catch that?
He MAKES me lie down.
He MAKES me rest.

There are times when I simply need to pull aside and just rest in Him, With Him and near Him.
Sunday morning is that kind of day for Vicki and me.
We usually get up around 6 or 6:30.
Coffee.....

Sunday Paper......
Then we have a time of worship.
Music...
Prayer....
Scripture....
Talking with each other about the affairs of the previous week.

Things we struggled with and things that God spoke to us.
We pray about long range plans we feel like God is leading us to.
We pray over both our places of employment, and the people who run them.
We pray that God would bless both places and prosper them.

In other words, we rest in God on Sunday's.
I have been gone the last three Sunday's and even though I was in church, I missed the simplicity of resting in God.
I think maybe church should be made more simple instead of a production.
I remember one Sunday when I was asked to speak to the Afternoon group at Gadsden Vineyard, I really didn't have a message. I just kept hearing the word rest.
As I stood to speak, I asked the sound person to put on some soft, intimate worship music. I explained to everyone there that life was taxing us and we didn't really seem to have a lot left over in the way of strength or energy, so I told them, "Today we rest."
I encouraged them to make themselves comfortable and even stretch out across the chairs if they wanted to, that instead of a message, we were going to rest. I'll never forget the look on the faces of the people present. It was like, "Can we do this?"
As the music started, people found comfortable spots to be in and one by one they began to rest. The lights were dimmed and we rested in God.

I let it go on for 45 minutes. Then I asked, "How was it?" The response was overwhelming.
Some said that they had heard God for the first time in a long time.

Some simply said they felt reconnected and energized.
Some had received prophetic words and wanted to share.
Every person who had been in the room that day, went away with renewed hope and faith.
That simple act of resting did more than any message or teaching I could have delivered.

Today....
Rest in Him....
Set aside time to simply rest in Him.


Enjoy this weekend.
God on you.......

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...