Saturday, June 12, 2010

All You Need Is Love

"Beatles said all you need is love and then they broke up."
"What the world needs now....is love....sweet love."
"Love love me do."
"Love is a many splendored thing."

There is love.....
and then there is LOVE.
God love....
Unconditional.
I understand the idea of unconditional love, but find myself wanting to put conditions on the love I want to give to others.
Or I start off unconditionally loving but something goes "Kaflooey" and the unconditional stuff flies out the window. This is followed closely by a lot of "Oh God, oh God" prayers.

I Corinthians 13:1 reads:
If I can speak in the tongues of men and (even) of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God's love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
From this passage, I see that even my best intentions or personal character means nothing unless I possess the ability to love. Not love as the world deems necessary, but diving love that comes from above and changes everything it comes in contact with. This isn't pipe dream thinking, it is a truth I have learned over the years. When you reach out to love in the name of Jesus, people are either drawn to you or they run away from you. No one.........I mean no one hangs around and stays the same. Love changes people.

V.2 reads:
And if I have prophetic powers (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), and understand all the secret truths and mysteries and possess all knowledge, and if I have (sufficient) faith so that I can remove mountains, but have not love (God's love in me) I am nothing ( a useless nobody)

Did you catch that? If I don't have God's love in me, I am nothing. Zero! Bupkus! Zilch!
Maybe we ought to spend more time on learning to love the way God loves.
With an eye on bringing the integrity of the Kingdom to our corner of planet earth.
To not be driven by the sweet, flowing platitudes of empty hearts as men speak to us about the nobility of humanity. Maybe we need to get our hands dirty loving on people the way Jesus did.
I'm not talking about "doing something".........I'm talking about living something.LOVE!

I want to learn how to love.
At times I think I'm pretty good at it.
Then something happens and all my "humanity" leaks out in glorious living color for all the world to see. When this happens, I truly realize how far I have to go.
Maybe today, I'll love the way Jesus does.
I certainly hope so.

God on you........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...