Friday, January 28, 2011

Prove Your Repentance

Acts 26:20
.......I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.

Powerful words......
"Prove their repentance...."
Today we are simply called to repent and assume that every one knows that we are sincere about it.
A few tears....
Many gathered around praying for us....
We get up and go back to life as usual.
But here in Acts, Paul makes the bold statement that it is our responsibility to show the work of God in us by the deeds that we do. He didn't say that we should work for our salvation or develop a lifestyle that appears to validate our holiness and commitment to God...............He said that from our repentance would spring forth deeds and actions that reveal the work of the Holy Spirit in us. The deeds Paul is writing about, comes as second nature after I'm saved.
I don't share the gospel because I have too, or because I have a belief that it is required....I do so because I want to. It is a by product of the Holy Spirit at work in me.

I received a wonderful present last night. Two former clients of Rapha came back to the 9 p.m. Bible study. We sat in my office and I listened as they told story after story of what God is doing in them and through them. One has gone on several mission trips, in particular to Africa and as he was telling me about how he had the chance to preach (he doesn't consider himself a preacher), his eyes filled with tears. He told of sharing John 3:16 with a group of children. As he did so, a number of them ( 15 if my memory serves me right) came forward to receive Christ as Lord and Savior. He was so jazzed about the whole thing. But it didn't stop there. He is working with kids and now has a weekly opportunity to show and share the love of God. He is "proving" his repentance and salvation.

The other man who came is working with others who are caught in addiction. He has so committed himself to this work that people are coming to him for help. He has received healing from God for a physical condition that has plagued him for years........and God healed! He told me story after story about how God has allowed him to work with those who are beaten down and in darkness. This man is also "proving" his repentance and salvation. These two who I have written about go about their day watching and waiting for God to direct their footsteps. They follow God's directives because it is simply what they do. Not because they have to. Get it! We do it because how could we do any less.

This God is a good God!!!!
God on you....
mb

2 comments:

Truthful said...

An imporant message that NEEDS to be shared.

Truthful said...

Prove your repentance by your deeds....A message that NEEDs to be shared.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...