Monday, January 3, 2011

Why?

John 13:37
Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."

I think all of us at one time or another have grandiose ideas about our serving God. What we do in the face of adversity. What we would say if we were threatened by a mob. We all like to believe we would be that one who would stand for the Kingdom and maybe even die for it.
That's what Peter thought when he made his statement in John 13:37.
No way Peter was going to deny Jesus.
He was willing to die for him.
I don't think Peter was lying when he said this.
I truly believe that Peter felt that this was the truth.
The truth has a funny way of coming unraveled when our true character and nature is revealed.

You see, Jesus knew that Peter would have to come to grips with who Peter really was.
He knew that Peter would have to be uncovered and allowed to see himself in the true light of the gospel so understanding could come and repentance happen.
This could only come about by allowing Peter to be put in a situation where his real nature would be revealed.
There around a campfire, surrounded by others, Peter denied Christ three times.
One time would have been bad enough, but sometimes we need to be brought face to face with the extent of our defects.
Don't you think Peter ran away into the darkness totally crushed.
He could not run fast enough nor find a darkness thick enough to remove the reality of what had just happened. Peter had boastfully stated that he would lay down his life for Jesus. Now in the aftermath, he was broken beyond measure because of his denial of Jesus.
It would have been a sad event had Peter stayed there in that place of grief and depression over what had happened, but praise God Peter didn't. There was restoration and forgiveness.
Isn't that the way of the Father?
We find ourselves uncovered and truly ashamed of what we have done or said, and in the next instant we are on our knees crying out to God.
He comes.
He brings forgiveness and healing to pour over us.
We are made whole and clean.

2011 I think may be a year of "THE REAL SELF".
That God is going to show us who we truly are.
Not the person we claim to be but the one who really exists inside.
I also believe that healing will be abundant for those who allow God to show them who they are.
Healing that will remove the pain of past events that happened to us either by our own choosing or the choosing of others.
2011 will be the year of uncovering.
Healing cannot take place until we know and see what is wrong with us.
2011 may be the year when we are healthier than we have ever been.
God's kingdom revealed in new ways and new heights.
Come Lord Jesus!

God on you....
mb

2 comments:

emilyelizabeth said...

As I'm just now beginning my moral inventory at the beginning of this year, I'm looking forward to being uncovered and fully known. It's so good to know that no matter what's revealed about us, there is nothing His blood hasn't already covered. Hallelujah!

Greene Street Letters said...

What I had to come to realize is that this "uncovering" by God is the ultimate act of love toward me. He loves me so much he doesn't want me to get away (in my own mind) with anything.
thanks for the comment...
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...