Monday, February 7, 2011

Good days.......God days......

Isaiah 5:18-19
Destruction is certain for those who drag their sins behind them, tied with cords of falsehood. They ever mock the Holy One of Israel and say, "Hurry up and do something! Quick, show us what you can do. We want to see what you have planned."

Part of the reality of addiction is the rejection of truth. The inability to confess or see the state of life that addiction (sin) has wrought upon an individual. The person trapped in addiction will always minimize their current problems. "I'm not using that much." "It's not really a problem, just some weed." "If people would just get off my back, I'd be o.k."  Every time they are confronted with truth, they try to put a spin on it. Turn for their favor and place them in a better light in front of others.

Addiction coupled with rejection of God makes for a pretty dangerous combination. When someone comes into the program here at Rapha, I will not argue with them about their beliefs or concepts of God. But they pretty much want me to "understand" where they are coming from, so they try and justify what they believe. I don't know if I've heard every excuse there is to reject God, but I'm pretty sure I've heard most of them.

"My Dad was a preacher and he just rammed God down my throat, so don't talk to me about this loving God."
"I've done dope with church people.....deacons and elders and ever a pastor. I'm as good as those folks".
"I believe that there are many paths to God. I don't believe he would limit himself to just one."
Like I said, I've heard it all.

Every time I have one of these conversations it ultimately comes down to "If God is real then he needs to show me a miracle, now!" It's the old show-me-and-I-will-believe routine. The fact is God is in the show me business, but you have to be able to see first. The miracle comes when a life is surrendered and the Holy Spirit is allowed to come and inhabit the person who has given up. The miracle is a life changed. One that was hell-bent on destruction has been destroyed and new life has resurrected. In other words, this person is born again. I never tire of seeing those kind of miracles.[

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know two things.
1.) rejection of God ends in destruction
     A.) First here in this life and then in eternity.

2.) Acceptance of God (born again) brings a new life to this side of eternity and a better life after death.

You may be saying, "prove it!"
Well, I am the beneficiary of the life "here and now" part. I'm waiting on the eternity thing to happen, and it will. But the here and now part is pretty cool. Oh, there's bumps and valleys, dark days and rain, but they don't affect me the way they use to before I came to know God. I don't have as much trouble navigating all the hard stuff life throws my way.  Now if that isn't change, I don't know what is.

God on you....
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...