Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Where Did It Go?

Time...
Where does it go?
Can you believe that we are fixing (good ol' Southern term) to turn the page and move into September?
It seems like we were in January just last week.
Huge snowfall here on January 10th. Shut down most businesses and factories. Of course down here in the South the least amount of snow will accomplish that feat.
Vicki and I are now moving into areas that are truly from the Twilight Zone.
High school reunions that fall in the realm of "40 years".
Tomorrow is our anniversary. We have been married 39 years.
My best friend, Jim Bentley, I've known for 43 years.
All these numbers sound like something old people do.
Something my parents would have done.
In fact, next month I turn 60.
Now that really is someone else, not me.
I look in the mirror and I see a 60 year old man standing there staring back at me.
"Who are you and what have you done with Michael?"
Inside my head, I am a rompin', stompin' 18 year old trapped in a 60 year old body....excuse me....59 and 3/4's. When I think of my body...well, it is 60 and there are mornings that I feel 60.
Time move on.

One of my most favorite verses in Scripture is Job 42:16-17: After this, Job lived one hundred and forty years, and saw his children and grandchildren for four generations. So Job died, old and full of days.
Isn't that a great verse! Job died, old and full of days. For all the terrible things that Job went through, at the end everything was set right. God restored and gave him a good life as Job grew older. Job got to see not only his children but on down through 4 generations. It doesn't mention it, but I'm sure Job told them his story and how the God he loved and served was faithful through out the ordeal he suffered. I would love for my life to have that kind of ending. To have someone speak over me and say, "Michael lived to be old and full of days."

If my time should come today and God sees fit to bring me home, let it be known that I have had a wonderful life. I have loved and been loved by the most incredible woman God every gave breath to. I have two godly sons who have married godly women. My grandchildren are being rasied and taught the truth of God's word.

I have seen the hand of God in so many ways, I can't begin to number them.
I have seen Him heal...everything from cancer to brain tumors...from tear ducts to back pain.
I have seen Him free people from demonic oppression.
I have seen salvation fall on a room full of men and fill them with such gratitude that weeping becomes a part of their lives. These were men who were hardened beyond belief to the things of God.
I have seen the touch of God in the lives of babies as I held them to pray over them.
I have seen the hand of God be so heavy on a room of people gathered to worship that we simply sat in silence, not speaking a word for fear we would undo what God was working among us.
I have seen the Holy Spirit of God come upon my wife and usher her into the presence of the Lord where she sings of His majesty and greatness. My wife, who does not sing in public, sings with the voice and heart of one who has been freed from all earthly constraints to worship at the feet of her Lord and Savior.
I have baptized men and seen God's Holy Spirit come upon them as they were coming up out of the water. Men who truly were made New Creations as according to II Corinthians 5:17.
In some ways, I think I have seen more than most. For that I am grateful, and at the same time I have a "why me?" feeling that I carry around. The main thing is that I am thankful for life and for every person I come in contact with. I want them to know the Jesus that I know.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...