Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Two's-Day

Living here in the deep South of the United States, we find ourselves in the middle of what I refer to as the "transition" season. It's  not quiet spring and it's  not quiet winter. We still have cold spells followed by warm days. You start out wearing a coat or a jacket, but by the afternoon you've shed it for just your shirt sleeves. Day's are getting longer and pretty soon we'll be moving to Daylight Savings Time. I do believe that DST was created by some heinous group of people who did it to torment us common folk. DST isn't natural! It's still daylight at 8:30 p.m. and my internal clock gets all messed up during this period.
What does this have to do with God or recovery? Nothing. I just felt like writing about this. Consider it a bonus at no extra charge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 7:24-29 (Message Bible)
"these words that I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit----but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapse like a house of cards."
When Jesus concluded his address, the crowd burst into applause. They had never heard teaching like this. It was apparent that he was living every thing he was saying---quiet a contrast to their religious leaders!

Life....
Real life is found in the Word of God.
There are no throw away words found in Scripture.
There is no casual conversation written anywhere in the Bible.
Each word is important and conveys the heart of love that God has for us, his creation.
I remember growing up my parents talking to me about certain things. Being the rebellious teenager, I sat there, but I didn't really listen to them. What I heard was like Charlie Brown's teacher in the cartoon PEANUTS.  "Wah..wah..wah...wah...wah...wah." My parents were trying to share their wisdom with me so that I could make good choices in the situations that I faced daily. Did I listen? Nope! And there were several times that I paid a price for my 'deafness'.
Jesus said for us to "hear" his words, and more than just taking in the information.....put them into practice.
There is such a conflict in the world today between the Kingdom of God and the kingdom of Satan that we must have Godly council in order to survive. It's not enough to simply live by your wits and own wisdom.
I need the instruction of God.
I choose to follow what Scripture reveals to me.

In verse 13-14 of Matthew 7 we read: "Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easy going formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life...to God! It is vigorous and requires total attention. In other words, when Jesus said we were to "Follow Him" he meant that the path and instruction is found in his Word. How can I follow if I don't study?

If you new to this, then start with one of the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke or John.
Don't be in a hurry as you read.
Always pray before you start your reading and ask God to give you wisdom and insight into what you read.
You'll be surprised as God unlocks His word for your understanding.

God on you today....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...