Monday, February 13, 2012

Finding Real Life

I John 1:5-7
If we claim that we experience, or have a shared life with Christ and  yet continue to stumble around in the darkness, we obviously are deceived and are lying through our teeth. We're not living what we claim. But if we walk in the light, God himself being the light, we also experience a shared life with one another, as the sacrificed blood of Jesus, God's Son, purges all our sin.

I John 3: 5-6
Surely you know that Christ showed up in order to get rid of sin. There is no sin in Him, and sin is not a part of His program. No one who lives deeply in Christ makes a practice of sin. None of those who do practice sin have taken a good look at Christ. They've got Him all backward.

I John 3:8
The Son of God entered, or came on the scene, stepping into our time and space to abolish and destroy the ways and works of the devil.

Galatians 6:14
For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the cross of Jesus. Because of the cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate.

Paul, in Galatians, says that through the cross, the world was crucified to him and he to the world. Through the introduction of Jesus into his life, Paul saw the beauty of the cross. The world and it's lure of entrapment lost all its luster and shine for Paul.

The same can be true for us today.
It is possible to be so taken with Jesus that sin, the world, the flesh and the devil all lose their power of temptation for us.  The gospel of the grace of God which is found in the cross, is the liberating power for all who come to believe. This power is more than sufficient to save any sinner, justify all the ungodly, sanctify all justified sinners and glorify every sanctified saint.
As the writer of the hymn "How Great Thou Art" so aptly put it:
And when I think of God, His Son not sparing.....
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in....
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing...
He bled and died to take away my sin.

I Corinthians 15:3
The first thing I did was place before you what was placed so emphatically before me. That the Messiah died for our sins, exactly as Scripture tells it.

In the above scripture, Paul declares that the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ is of first importance. Come draw near the cross and let God change you.

Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the cross where thou hast died.
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,

To thy precious, bleeding side.

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...