Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Living In The Spot Light

Sorry for being late with the posting this morning.
We had a huge limb from one of our oak trees come down last night. It is still attached to the tree, but it fell across the main power feed that comes into our house. I had to call the power company to get someone to come out and take it down before it pulled the main power line out and maybe cause some more serious damage. It was a very late night, so I am just now getting up and moving around to get the day started. God is good. Taking in the damage from the limb this morning, it could have been a lot worse, but it fell in such a way (Thank you for your hand of protection, Lord) that it didn't do any structural damage to our house.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I John 1:5-7
This is the message He has given us to announce to you: God is light and there is no darkness in Him at all. So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness. We are not living in the truth. But if we are living in the light of God's presence, just as Christ is, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, cleanses us from every sin.

Living in the light....
That means having no secrets (as if we could have secrets from God). Not allowing any place in your heart to become a haven for things that would motivate you to act outside the will of God. Living in the understanding of what is true and good for me...that is living in the light. It is an on going process, this living in the light. If you are working the steps, then by the time you reach Step #10, you are walking a pace that keeps you being honest with yourself and with God.

Step # 10 reads: We continue to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
The word "continue" means that it is a continual way of thinking as to how my life is to be lived. I have found the value in honesty. I have found the freedom that comes in this relationship with Jesus, and my desire is to not return to the old way of thinking. Of having secrets that must remain hidden for fear of being uncovered by others (not to mention God!). By the time I reach Step #10, I am a daily "Step #4, taking stock and inventory of my words and behaviors....."Did I do the right thing? Were my words encouraging or did I become too critical when I spoke to that individual?" Then comes the kicker.....when we were wrong....PROMPTLY ADMIT IT! Don't allow the wrong I've done to take root and find a place to hide in me. Drag that wrong out into the light of God's presence and kill it. Confess it (wrongs hate it when you start confessing) and receive forgiveness from God. If Step # 10 is about me setting right words and behaviors that need correcting, then it would stand to reason that I am growing each time I pursue this new way of living.

Step # 10 is a kind of buffer that points me back to the right path when I find that I have messed up. It keeps me aware of the need to stay in the light of God's word. I started this journey by "admitting I was powerless over my dependency and that my life had become unmanageable......."  Now I am working daily to bring balance to this new life I have found. Aren't those great words....New Life
? This new life is available to all who ask for it.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...