Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's That Sound? Everyone Look What's Going Down



I once heard a comedian say, "IF an atomic bomb goes off, and you can say, 'what's that?' then your in good shape.
We live in a noisy world. It seems as though the faster culture and life move, the more we want to close ourselves off from it. We definitely live in a world of information overload. Voices on the TV...voices on our radios....cell phones...smart phones....the air is filled with voices.
I have discovered the wonderful world of mp3 players. I use one when I go for my daily walks. Loaded with messages and teachings, I can tune out the noise of the world and allow the Word of God to be heard.


So what is it you are listening to? Not in the sense of an mp3 player or an I-phone or pad,but daily in your life. What voice do you listen to? Do you listen to the message of the world, or are you letting God speak to you...direct and guide you?

There is a great passage in Mark 5, where a man has come to Jesus to ask him to come and heal his daughter. She is not just sick, but to the point of death. The man, an official of the local synagogue, had laid aside his religious views to seek out the only one who could save his daughter. Don't you know that the others who attended his synagogue tried to convince him not to go to Jesus. "Just have faith and God will be merciful." Sounds good....but sometimes faith asks us to lay down our beliefs and pick up the real truth of who God is. You see, I am in a constant state of "Unlearning" about Jesus. I''m 60, almost 61, years old and I have constructed over the years some views and concepts of who I thought Jesus was, and how he operates in the Kingdom of God. So, through the mercy and grace of God, I am learning, sometimes painfully, who the real God is. There are a lot of voices out there trying to tell me and instruct me on who they think God is....but my allegiance is to only one...Jesus the Christ.

I digress. Back to the story.
This synagogue official shows up...he has tracked Jesus down and is presenting his case. "Come home with me and heal my daughter." Jesus agrees and the two start out. Along the way, some people from the synagogue-guy's home approach him with bad news. I want you to read what they said to him....
"Your daughter has died. Why trouble the teacher anymore?"

Don't you know this news shook the man to the very core of his being. His daughter, whom he loved, did not survive. But I think the one thing that just gets my dander up is the reference to Jesus. "Why trouble THE TEACHER." Teacher? What was Jesus going to do? Go to the man's house and have a conference? Show up on the doorsteps and proclaim that he was going to speak from the old testament? You see, those who came to break the news...did not see the truth of who was following this man home.
In their eyes and according to their understanding, He wasn't the CHRIST.
He was a teacher.
He wasn't the MESSIAH.
He was a teacher.
He wasn't GOD IN FLESH.
He was a teacher.
The only thing Jesus was good at....was teaching.

Those same voices are out there today saying the same thing about Jesus.
He's a good man.
His teachings are very moral.
He's a prophet.
No, my friend. He is the LORD! He is King over all who claim to be king....and He is LORD over all who lay claim to the title of Lord.
Don't let the voices of this world fill your mind and heart and lead you away from the truth of God this day.

Notice what Jesus told the official upon receiving the news that his daughter had died.
But Jesus, overhearing what was being spoken, said to the synagogue official, "DO not be afraid any longer, only believe."
Don't listen to the voices.
"You have come to me for healing. It matters not what the circumstance may be....don't listen to the voices. Only believe."

Today....as you seek to follow Jesus...
Don't listen to the voices of the world. They only seek to fill you with fear and doubt. They want to draw you heart and your attention away from Jesus and focus it upon the darkness that is rising in this world.
I refuse to be a part of such noise.
I choose to walk out my day by faith, not by sight or sound.
I choose to elevate my vision and see the throne room of heaven where Scripture says I have the right to enter in and ask of my Heavenly Father.
Hear God for yourself today.
There is peace for your heart, your mind and your body.

God on you....
mb

2 comments:

Ann Wynne said...

Thank you Mike for this one. I'm sitting here crying as I read through it because I was just told yesterday by an unsaved person who means a lot to me that they don't want to be around me anymore because they're tired of me seeing God in everything. I was just questioning if there is anything as too much God when you seek His voice above all else. You answered that one...

Greene Street Letters said...

It truly hurts when those we love say such things. Pray for them, love them even more...and keep the door open to them when God leads them back.
Praying for you, Ann

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...