Monday, October 1, 2012

Overcomers




John 16:33
I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

The word, overcome, means to subdue or bring into submission. Imagine if that were true....to be able to overcome the world. This society that surrounds us and influences us. To be able to overcome the system that dictates morals and attitudes and draws people deeper into sin. Imagine if the verse from John were true. Now, more than imagine, believe! It is true.

Through Jesus' death and resurrection, in Him I can overcome. No matter what may come my way, I can overcome. I can, through the POWER of the Holy Spirit in me, subdue and overcome...any threat to my salvation and relationship with Christ. Notice what Jesus says in the verse above..."Take heart." Why would he tell us to "take heart", or not be discouraged unless he knew that there were going to be times when we will want to quit following him, and return to our old ways. My friends, life is a battle. But don't look now, I've read the end of the book and we win. Jesus plainly states that in this life, on this planet, we will have many trials and sorrows. They are going to come. Hollywood and Madison Avenue would want you to believe that when you see things their way........when you buy their soap and brush your teeth with their toothpaste, it's all sunshine and roses, puppy dogs and lollipops.

Overcoming does not entail simply "holding on." We're not holding on to anything here in this world. We are living and moving daily despite the trials and sorrows. We are overcomers! Addiction has taken its best shot at you and you are still standing. Now, imagine what it is like to stand, to live, to walk and breath filled with your Higher Power. Not given to the whims and wind of this world, being blown and tossed about like some piece of garbage on the street, but standing firm in Christ. 

Let Jesus be the very air you breathe...
Let Him be your daily bread.....
God on you....

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...