Sunday, July 14, 2013

Surely / Quickly--Bookends To The Last Words


Revelation 22:20
He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming quickly."

The very last statement made by Jesus as written by John, in the book of Revelation.
Last words....
These words either stir you with hope....or maybe they draw up a little fear as you read them.
They may even fall on your spirit and simply fade away without any effect at all.

To one who is a follower of Jesus, these are words of hope. The opening word "surely" is a strong word to use....it is coming from someone who does not lie and always keeps His word. Surely means you can take that to the bank. IT is rock solid and will not be deterred or detained by anyone or any thing. This isn't a whimsical, wishy-washy statement. It is coming from one whose word is true. 

The last word, "quickly", actually means suddenly. To me, when I read this verse, I compare it to lightning that hits nearby and with it comes the thunder that rattles your house. I see Jesus coming in this manner. Seems to have be out of style to talk about His return. I guess I'm out of style, because I long for that day. I know that I'll either go to Him because of my own death, or He will come to take me home. Either way...it's win/win for me.

Like I wrote earlier in this posting....These words are a comfort to me. But they also are a wake up call. A call to let me know that there are others out there who don't know the good news about this Jesus. They don't understand the dire time we live in. Why? Because they are under the crush and crawl of addiction. Created in the heart of the devil and carried out by his minions, addiction deafens ears and hardens hearts to the truth of the life God wants to give. Stirring the old nature that leans into sin, the person who chooses to follow that dark path finds themselves getting farther and farther away from God's truth. In fact, the truth of God becomes the enemy to a soul trapped in addiction.
"God wants to punish me and kill me!"

"God wouldn't have anything to do with me...I'm a terrible person!"
"I don't believe in God!"
"I don't want anything to do with a God who would send me to hell!"
Over and over the words flow out from hearts of darkness.
Yet, God's Holy Spirit continues to draw them to His truth.
Not out of anger..but from a heart of love.

There is no hole so deep that we have dug ourselves into, that God cannot reach down and take us out of. That is power of God's love. That He continues to chase us even when we spit in his face and curse his name. I am so glad that he hasn't given up on me. My life had no purpose before he captured my attention and my heart. I was not a good husband and I surely wasn't a good father. I actually drove by the place where I met Jesus for real back in 1979. It happened in an apartment complex behind Martin's Department Store. There in that living room, one afternoon, God became real to me. I was by myself and had just finished listening to an album (remember those?) by a Christian Comedian (can those two words go together? I think maybe yes). The man's routine turned from being extremely funny to his own personal testimony. As I sat there in my apartment, with his words burning deep into my heart, I was made painfully aware of the lousy state of my life. With tears streaming down my face, I met Jesus. There in that tiny apartment He came and changed me. Later, He changed my wife and we have never been the same. 

Now when I read the words of Christ about His return....
I say "Maranatha".....come quickly Lord Jesus.
Have a great day!


God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...