Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Am



Two sisters heartbroken
One brother dead, lying in a tomb.
One man who should have been there to stop this.
All three bound together in a time and event that would bring the Father
glory and honor.

The two sisters knew the day would come when death
would invade their family...death is a certainty.
The brother probably didn't think much about death
until he found himself bedridden.
Maybe he too had questions and thoughts as to why
Jesus had not come.
Did the man doubt?
Did he grow angry at God?
Or was he simply given over to the truth that
he was going to die?

Jesus arrives 96 hours to late.
The funeral has taken place.
Life has moved on, but it offered no peace
or relief for the pain the two sisters were feeling.
There was an emptiness to the lives of those who knew
Lazarus.

Do you ever stop to think that when his mother named him,
that she knew that one day his name, Lazarus, would forever
be associated with the power of God?
That his  name would forever be linked to coming back from the dead?


Martha runs to meet Jesus.
Overcome by the grief and maybe even some anger for
his tardiness, Martha launches into him.
"If you'd been here, this never would have happened."
But what she could not see or understand, this was all God's timing.
God's purposes far exceeded what Martha wanted.
Does that mean her tears were wasted on a God who didn't care?
No...
Her tears and the grief in her heart only made God aware of how 
fragile life is and how short his creations time is here on earth.

With much love in his voice, Jesus told Martha---
"Your brother shall rise again!"
But Martha's grief clouded her understanding as she
perceived Jesus to mean at the last resurrection.

Then Jesus spoke with a voice that was older than time itself.
With a voice that transcended the words written by Moses in Exodus...
Lazarus shall rise again
Because
"I am"

Not I was...
Nor I will be...
But "I am"
The present, almighty God who holds the power to heal and restore.
Believe and you will see the dead brought to life again.
I see it every week....
I see dead men and women walking around
bound under the curse of addiction.
I see tomb-livers and cemetery dwellers living under death's curse
bound by memories that will not let them go.

I have seen the power of "I am" as he calls them out of their
tomb to new life.
I have seen the grave clothes stripped away from them
so that they could walk and run and be free.
This isn't a fairy tale or an attempt to persuade you one way or the other.
IT is simply a statement of truth.
Jesus is the way if you want to change.
Jesus is the truth if you want to break free from all the lies.
And
Jesus is the life if you want him and what he can do for you..
why?
Because....
He is the great
"I am"

God on you
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...