Sunday, September 8, 2013

Family



Jeremiah 31:3
Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love, therefore with loving kindness I have drawn you.

Clan Bynum gathered last night to celebrate one of its own.
Family is most important to me. When one celebrates, we all do. When one is hurt and down, we all are hurt and down.
Last night was a celebration for my oldest son, Chad.
He has completed his studies and classes and has received his masters degree.

There was food....
Laughter.....
Smiles.....

More food.....
Hugs.....
and handshakes....
Did I mention that we had food.


I was suppose to give this stirring speech about Chad's tenacity and stick-tuitiveness that has been a part of his character. I was suppose to, but tears were the only thing I could offer to the celebration. Tears of joy as I stood there looking at this man and remembering his years and all the struggles he has gone through. But he never quit.

I sat back and just took the evening in.
Watching Chad with his brother Josh....joking and cutting up.
My own brother, Wayne, and his wife, Sue, sharing the moment with us, as well as Steve and Peggy Parrish. Like I said...it was all family last night.
Vicki just out did herself with the spread she prepared.....

Potato Salad, baked beans, cole slaw.....BBQ ribs....I do love me some pig-sicles.
and for dessert.....Banana Pudding. Food and family are big here in the South. 
With second cups of coffee all around, everyone settled in to catch up on the latest family news...OF course all this conversation was sprinkled with everyone's favorite "Chad" story.

As the evening wore on and people began to disperse, I knew that God had given us a crown jewel memory. One that we would hold close and dear. To me that is what family is all about, especially now that we've all gotten older and we have the grand kids. Celebrating who we are...and what God has blessed us with. 

I know that when it's my time to depart this old world, I won't be leaving much behind.
But what I do leave, is near and dear to my heart.
I'm leaving my name....
And I'm leaving a family that loves God and each other.
Could you ask for anything more?
I don't think so.


God on you....
mb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More, maybe, but not better. "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." 3 John 1:4

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...