Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Not Running From But Running Toward


Song of Solomon 1:4
Draw me away! We will run after You. The King has brought me into His chambers. We will be glad and rejoice in You. We will remember Your love more than wine.

To me, this symbolizes the dividing line between those who are committed to Christ and those who are merely playing at being religious.
It is that point in which the Higher Power we so desperately need to aid us in our recovery, becomes the focus of our life. A focus that causes us to forsake the old ways, the old friends and the old places we use to frequent, in order to embrace the unknown of the future. 

We will run after You! Run where? Wherever God is taking us. We will follow. We won't play 21 questions with you, God in order to achieve some sort of pseudo-control over our own existence. 
1.) Where are you taking me God?
2.) How long will I be expected to stay there?
3.) What's in it for me?

4.) What happens if I decide that I don't want to go with You to this place?
and on, and on, and on....

Addiction is a malady that throws up it's own roadblocks to being healed.
The course that we teach at Rapha says that sometimes addiction appears to be a living organism bent on remaining hidden and in control of they individual.
It defines addiction as being cunning, baffling,powerful and patient

Proverbs 14:12 tells us that There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death. Some versions read that there is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is death. In other words, the addiction that is being manipulated by the devil and his kingdom of darkness, causes a person's heart (center of will, intellect and emotion) to become blind to the truth. What the persons sees as a way out or a way of escape is only drawing the noose tighter around their neck. I have watched this happen over and over as individuals made choices that you knew were not going to end well. I have even counseled them about the choices they are making, telling them that it wasn't wise, but they would not listen. I'm telling you that sometimes being associated with people who are suffering from addiction is like watching a train wreck that you can't do anything about.

I have also seen the amazing transformation that only God can bring to a life of destruction.  I have watched as those being transformed through the saving Grace of God, develop a hunger and love for Him and His word. I have seem them cast off one set of desires to embrace this God. It truly is like the verse from Song of Solomon...."We will run after You!" Why? Because only Jesus has the words of life. Words of life. Words. More than simply spoken to be heard, but the vehicle used to cause true life to grow in the hearts of those who are learning how to fall in love with this Jesus.
That is why the Scripture tells us that Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. Life begins through the faith I have that Jesus is who He claims to be and will do what He claims He can do.

To me.....
He is worthy to be chase after.
Every day....
In every way....

We spent our lives chasing the darkness and where did it get us?

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...