Thursday, December 12, 2013

Great Darkness Requires A Great Light



If ever there was a time of spiritual darkness, it is happening today. There are those who would scoff at such statements, click their tongues and say, "We are not like the savages that ruled the earth eons ago."
Oh, we may have more technology and we may indeed have gained much more knowledge, but the base character of humanity has not changed. In fact, it may have gotten worse. How can I say this? Because our society has chosen to push God from its collective conscience.

We have erected temples to pleasure and self-fulfillment. We have filled our dark souls with chemicals in an effort to change our reality and alter our moods. All because deep inside, we have a vacuum that can only be filled by God. It's like trying to carry water with a bucket that has no bottom.. No matter how much water we scoop up, it flows out the bottom, so that our thirst is never quenched. We live in an age of self-will run riot, as the big book of A.A. states.

Sounds hopeless doesn't it? It's not. The answer is there right in front of us. It's been there since the fruit was eaten in the garden long ago. The very essence that would sooth the unquenchable thirst produced by the vacuum we carry around. This new way of living is found in a person...Jesus Christ. Not the Jesus of the church, or the Jesus that we think we know. He is so much more than that. When I wrote "Jesus of the church" I am speaking about the concepts and ideas we gather from going to church. He IS so much more than that. I run into men who have been in church all their lives and yet they are totally tore up because of their drug use. They wills show up to my Bible study and try and impress me with their knowledge of the Bible and everything Jesus. I will usually stop them as they are speaking and ask them, "What happened?" They look puzzled as if to say, "What do you mean, what happened?" "Your Jesus ain't to hot! I don't know if I would want your Jesus...He ain't working to good, is he?" They begin to get mad and want to debate. Then I give them the truth...."If your Jesus is so great and wonderful......why are you sitting here in rehab?"
Truth is I want them to see that their views of who Jesus truly is are not right. I want them to meet the real deal Jesus..not the flannel board one we saw in Sunday School.

This is the season that we need to share the hope of Christ with those who are still in spiritual darkness.
Share the real message that you can have life now and live after.
If we can give that to someone, we will have given them the greatest Christmas gift they will ever hope to receive.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...