Friday, August 22, 2014

Friday Ramblings



Barry and Deb Hooks....
Two people who make up the core leadership of Vineyard Recovery Church.
We all need people in our lives that will be examples and encourage us to keep on and not give up.
These two are that to me.

Deb has an incredible gift of thinking that she really isn't doing anything for the Kingdom of God.
On more than one occasion I have heard her say, "I just don't know what I'm suppose to do!" All the while she's making this statement, she is loving folks and praying for folks during ministry time. She has taken on the role of being our videographer of VRC. If you see a video here or on our Facebook page, Deb took it. Deb has the incredible gift of "Hospitality". She is always the first to meet the first timers to VRC. I wished I had more people who "didn't know what they were suppose to be doing for the Kingdom!"


Barry is one of our elders at Vineyard Recovery Church.
Barry and I worked together at Rapha for seven years, and he was on our very first worship team when we were the Church@Rapah. 
I have watched as Barry has allowed God to stretch him and grow him through some pretty tough times and situations. 
I've also watched as God has given great grace, mercy and peace to this man.
If I ever have any questions concerning A.A. or the Big Book, Barry is the one I turn to.


This Saturday night, at VRC, Barry will be speaking.
No frills, to the point, and dead on is what Barry will bring to us. I always enjoy hearing Barry share about what God has been showing him during this season.
Meeting starts at 7 p.m.
Come on out and join us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 14:1
Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me.

Jesus, on the night before His death, makes this statement to His disciples.
Seems to have been a difference of opinion between Jesus and Peter.

Peter has made a very bold statement as to the extent he would follow Jesus.
Jesus came back with the real truth about what was going to happen, and Peter didn't like it.
We never do like it when we face the truth about ourselves, do we?

But such uncomfortable places are where we grow in character and in the Spirit.
When we are brought face to face with not only the "real" us....but also the dark potential that lies within our hearts. The potential of what we are capable of doing should we ever reject Jesus and allow that old sin nature to rise up and take control.
We don't really like to consider the possibility that lies within each of us.


Jesus knew.
He knew the hearts of His disciples, just as He knows our hearts.

You know what is the funny part in all of this?
He wasn't put off by it.
He didn't go into some sort of religious hissy-fit.
He told them, "Don't let your hearts be troubled. I know you believe in God...now here is a golden opportunity for you to believe in me."

Jesus knew that the very ones that had followed Him over the past three years, would turn and run when the officials came to arrest Him. He knew that they would desert Him. But He also knew that such behavior was needed if they were to grow and develop the fortitude to carry His gospel to places where their very lives would be threatened. 
A little pain now...
A little embarrassment now...
A little suffering now....

When covered with repentance and forgiveness, would produce Godly men who would move far beyond the fleshly boasting of " I"ll never deny You!"

I have got to learn that no matter what season I am in....
No matter how hard or dark the time may be....
Jesus sees it all.
He sees beginning to end.
He knows the outcome. I can't explain how He does it, I just know He does.
That being the case, I have got to learn to trust Him.

Trust in His promises and in His directions for my life.
Trust in the fact that as I move through whatever situation I'm facing, I will grow and mature, change and develop character that is pleasing to Him.
Such is the heart of God.
I want that!


God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...