Friday, November 21, 2014

Countdown


Psalm 90:12
So teach us to number our days, that we may get us a heart of wisdom.

Number our days?
You mean count them off, or mark them off the calendar?
Not really....
I think the idea is to realize that our time here on earth is short.

To make each day count for eternity.
To realize what a gift this day is, and that He has allowed each of us to possess it.
What I do today will figure into the eternal part of life I don't understand.

Choices I make....
Decisions that must be weighed out and considered carefully....

People I need to see and speak to...
All figure into this day. Am I going to be about Kingdom business of my Father?
Or am I going about doing what I want to, hiding behind His name?


Wisdom comes from the understanding that time is not something we should take for granted. Before I go any farther, let me say this.....I am not advocating that we should all run out fill up every minute of every day with some sort of religious behavior. I am advocating that we should follow the Spirit of God every minute of every day. Number our days as we follow Him and see where it takes us. 

Addiction has the potential of robbing an individual of their perception of time left to them. A person in addiction lives only for the moment. The right now, right here, give me a good feeling - life is to hard, moment. Such an individual can't, and sometimes doesn't want to, look beyond the next high. So the days become wasted as the individual. Falling deeper and deeper into a pit of lies and false belief's, finally giving up with no hope of ever coming out. All of the choices made become colored and tainted by the addiction. It really is a Romans 7 life! That which I want to do (be clean and sober and have a life) I do not do, and the very thing I don't want to do (Use and get high) that is what I do. Paul the Apostle kind of emphasis' this thought with a pretty good exclamation. He says, "Oh wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of sin?" Turns out that Jesus is the answer to the problem.

Don't be mislead by the dark voice of sin/addiction.
Don't be taken down that road to despair and depression. Life is hard enough without signing up for the 3-hour sin tour.

As Larry Norman use to sing.....
"Why don't you check into Jesus---He's got the answers !

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...