Friday, March 20, 2015

Goodbye For Now, My Friend


I Corinthians 15:54-55
So when this corruptible has put on incorruption; and this mortal must put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, "Death is swallowed up in victory."
"O Death, where is your sting?"
"O Grave, where is your victory?"

Sometimes when you look at a photo, and you see the person smiling, you think to yourself, "That's a fake smile." Not so with James Mulkey. He always had a smile on his face. James was an easy man....easy in life.....never met a stranger. Always had a story. Always looked for the good in a person. 
Now he has left us.
I know it's a part of life, but I don't think I'll ever grow accustom to it.

I would see James from time to time after we graduated. Most often it would be downtown as he cruised around in his patrol car. James really loved working for Gadsden P.D., and it showed. If ever there was an ambassador for the police department, it was James Mulkey. James had that "Will Rodgers" thing going on...He never met a person he didn't like. There were no strangers in the life of James Mulkey. A smile, a handshake, and a "How are you doing?" Always was a part of the drill. Funny part in all of this. James meant it, he didn't just say it.



This is a picture of James at our class reunion, last year. He was a mainstay at reunion time. Always making the rounds...seeing and speaking to everyone.
Like all of us, James had his struggles....
His wife died some time back, but James carried on.
Usually there would be a posting on Facebook about his grandsons, or his work at Anniston Army Depot.
No matter what storm may have come his way, James never lost that smile.
But that was just the way he was, wasn't it?

Times like this make me stop and give thanks for the people that have passed through my life. I got out my annuals from High school and took a trip back through them. Were we ever really that young? Those times at Etowah High School seem like a million years ago......then again, it seems like only yesterday. I don't know about you, but when I think of certain classmates, I still see them as they are in those annuals. The years may have rolled on by, but in those annuals, we never changed. We didn't get older. I guess that is the beauty of memories. 

So, if we have another Class of '69 Reunion, our group will number one less.
But somehow, someway, I do believe that James Mulkey will be there.
Rest easy, my friend.

God on you...
mb

1 comment:

Regina Gwin said...

Beautiful writing about a beautiful person. James was truly one of the good ones. He will really be missed. Love you James.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...