Saturday, May 16, 2015

Be Grateful For Life This Morning!

John 3:16
For God SO loved the world...............

I John 4:9
In this the love of God was manifested (Demonstrated) toward us.......

If you've been following the Greene Street Letters, then you know that last month we had some special friends come by at Vineyard ReCovery church. The "WE ARE ONE" Gulf coast tour rolled into our neck of the woods for a night of worship and hanging out.

Lead guitarist, Raymond McDonald, was introducing a song and during the introduction he said something that I cannot get out of my head. To me it was a kind of common sense, boil it down, down home kind of statement that gave language to my own personal theology. What was it he said?

"We're all just thumping on a free watermelon!"
In other words, we've been given this incredible gift of life from God the Father.
We can waste it, use it, tear it up and lose it. But if we're above ground and breathing, it is a gift. Why not consider giving the gift back to Him, to be used "Doing the Stuff" in the Kingdom here on ol' planet earth. Why not do the Recovery 3 Step into a new way of looking at your particular watermelon. A turning back to God your will and life. If you slice your watermelon open, I'm sure you'll find His will for you and an even more abundant life.
Note: Abundant doesn't always translate into material stuff...the greatest, most valuable things that would define an abundant life, aren't always measure in material goods.


Isn't that like God? To give us tokens of His divinity as a free gift.

Oh, everyone's life is different, I know that. And our enemy, the devil, loves to stir us up so that we quit looking at what we have in life, to focus on what others around us has.
They have a better car than I do....
They have more money in the bank than I do....
They have a bigger house than I do.....
And the list goes on and on and on.....

No gratitude for what you have been given...
We can't find the joy and beauty of the watermelon we've been given, because we're so tore up on our neighbor's watermelon.

In the end, what does how much stuff you own really matter.....
I have a confession to make....
I read the obituary's every morning in our local newspaper. Not once in any of them have I ever read about the new car that has been left behind. Or the incredible music collection, gathered over the years that was owned by a certain individual. Nope...what I read is simply about their death. As a person and an image bearer of God, things and stuff don't rate very highly on His scale. Maybe it is how we spent our life.....
Thumping on the watermelon is fine....
But you can't enjoy the melon till you cut it open and eat it....
Watermelon is messy....
So is life.
What is the best part of the melon?
Why everyone know's it's the heart.....
At the center of our melon is the hear of God....

Hmmmmm...
Maybe I need to think more on the free watermelon I've been thumping on...


Find gratitude today....
Remember....
The watermelon is free....

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...