Monday, May 18, 2015

Conviction.....

John 16:8
And when He (the Holy Spirit) has come, He will convict the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment.

He came through our doors Saturday night.
I didn't see him at first, but one of our leaders came and got me.

The young man introduced himself, we shook hands and then he shared his story.
He'd just got out of prison and had taken a bus to Gadsden.
Somewhere along the way, someone had stolen his bag that contained his clothes.

He was wearing shorts, tennis shoes, but no shirt, and wanted to know if we could supply him with some shirts.

It was almost seven, time for the meeting to start and I was kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.
I told him we probably could but not at that moment.
I suggested that he stay or come back later. But either way, I wouldn't know until after our meeting.
He left....


Most of my decision, I confess...was from my flesh.
The battle in my mind...."It's time for the service to start. You can't do anything for him right now. Of all the times to show up...I'll take care of him later."
There was no doubt, after that young boy walked out, that God had sent him to us.
I had failed.

I got up some money and told one of our leaders to run him down and give it to him. Also to invite him back.
The young man came back.
We got him some coffee and he took a seat about as far back as he could from what was happening in the room.

Worship starts....

We move through the songs until we get to the last one.
Kind of an old Vineyard worship song...."Pour Out My Heart".
With each word that was sung, the young man was antsy...
He got up...
Walked to the back door. Stood there.
Came back and sat down....

"Every cry.....You are listening....No matter what state...My heart is in...You are faithful to answer....with words that are true...and a love that is real."
You could see the Holy Spirit at work in the young man's heart.
And I knew that at the same time, He was at work in my heart because I had not acted very loving to this young man.

At some point, this young man who'd walked in off the street, gathered up his belongings and started to the door. One of our leaders intercepted him and talked with him. I saw them pray together and then the boy walked out into the night.

The one who had intercepted the young man, shared with me what had transpired between the two of them. It wasn't real clear, but the bottom line was the God had come to the young man, but he wasn't ready to turn loose.

So I'm not sure, but I think there were two lessons learned in that room last Saturday night.
A young man ran into the power of the real God. He was given an opportunity to begin a new way of living. 
The other lesson?
My own heart was uncovered and shown that nothing is more important than the one who needs help. 
Both of us have decisions to make. Do we continue in our old way of living and thinking? Or do we embrace what God wants to do? Do we allow His Holy Spirit free reign of our hearts?

I realize that there is a balance that has to take place in these encounters we have with those who are in need.

Did I beat myself up?
I confess that I did.
Did I learn from it?
I think so, but we'll see when the next encounter happens.

And it will.

At the "After-the-meeting" meeting. Several shared their take on the whole incident.
There was much prayer for the young man. We thanked God for bringing him, and asked protection over the conviction that was planted in that young man's heart. We asked that God not allow the enemy to turn conviction into condemnation.


Such was our Saturday night....
I have a long way to go on this journey and I pray that I get it right somewhere along the line.


God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...