Friday, February 26, 2016

It's All About The Timing


Ecclesiastes 3:1
For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

The race for president seems out of control, what with all the bickering and posturing. Tension in the middle East as Russia is becoming a player in the region. Clashes between blacks and police seem to be the norm on the front page of the Gadsden Times. And on and on and on the litany goes. 

Without faith....
Without belief in God....

The world seems out of control.
Now, when I say belief, I'm talking about a knowing that goes deeper than some sort of mental arrangement you have in your mind. You know, when you talk to someone and they say..."God? Oh yeah, I believe in God." Yet their very life shows no evidence of the change that only God can bring to a heart. I'm talking about a belief that reshapes the very core of who you are. God becomes as important as the air you breath in order to survive. In the amplified Bible, when the term belief/faith is mentioned, it is always followed by these words that define what belief/faith is....cling to /  rely on /  look beyond circumstances / faith.

My faith tells me that God moves in this world, and in my life, with a pace and purpose. I'm not always made privy to the why's and wherefores of this movement. It is mine to simply trust and follow. Over the years, I have discovered the simple truth that God's timing is not the same as my timing. My timing is all about now! "I need it now, Lord! I want it now, Lord! If You did what I've prayed for, and you did it right now, you'd be a day late, Lord!"

I've got to learn (as we all do) that God's timing and my timing are not the same. I've got to see the wisdom that God stands outside of time and can see "all". Therefore, His plans are yes and amen, and will take place at the appropriate time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we are pieces on a cosmic chessboard. I just believe that His timing is always used to grow me and change me as I trust Him. Sometimes He does act in a "faster than I thought He would" answer to my prayer. But other times, He seems to be moving slow as molasses. My job in all of this? Wait.....believe....receive when it's time.  Hard lesson, but still one that we all need to learn.  Take the verse from Luke 2:6 - And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born." O.k...what does this have to do with God's timing? I mean, on the surface, Mary has gone full term with the baby. It's been nine months and now is the time for the baby to be born. Well, that is part of it, but lets pull back and see the whole picture. What government ruled at that time? Rome. Rome, who ruled the known world. Rome who built roads that would move the legions of their army, would also be the roads that moved the Gospel all over the known world. Rome, who ruled with a common language, now would see that language spoken of to share the story of a risen Savior who came to pay the price for all our sins. Rome, who ruled with a system of law, would see that law shaken by one of it's own citizens, a man named Paul.

So you see, there was no other time in the history of the world that these things could have taken place and spread the word of God farther and faster than that night God stepped into our time and space in the form of a baby.
God's timing....


The next time you get frustrated when things don't seem to be going the way you think they should, remember God's timing.
The next time you think God has forgotten you and your prayers....remember God's timing.
Have a great weekend!

God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...