Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Fine Art Of Waiting

Isaiah 40:31
But those who wait (trust) upon the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

Hurry....hurry...hurry! Got to go. Keep moving. Run, run, run. I thought maybe as I got older, things would slow down a bit, but our society runs at an even faster pace now. I guess the secret is to not let society dictate your pace. I chose the picture above to kind of illustrate the mentality that is common among people in today's lifestyle.

Everything has to fast and/or instant.
Carnation's Instant Breakfast.....pour it in a glass, add milk, stir and voila' you have instant breakfast.
Verizon advertises that they have the fastest phone service among all others.

Car's advertise (although subtly) that there's is the most luxurious and fastest (if you have a need for speed) than their competitors. 

If you think about it.....time is actually a concept that God gave us.
A unit of measurement to gauge our journey here on good ol' planet earth.
Minutes, seconds, hours....

Days, weeks, and months....
Years, decades, centuries....and the ever popular millennium.

Time as we know it is winding down. We may not like to think of it this way, but it is true none the less. Each of us is given a specified amount of time in our life. Psalm 139:16 tells us "You (God) saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in Your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." So what have we done so far with our allotted amount of time? Have we spent it wisely? Or have we squandered it on thinks that have no eternal value?  Now, I'm not trying to get all religious-ly on you. Trying to make you think that every waking moment has to be spent like a monk-on-the-run. I do want you (and me) to understand that life is about balance, and God is the one who helps us keep it that way.

Learning to wait when things are dark and not going our way. Not waiting because we don't know what to do next and we might mess it up. But waiting for God to show us what's next. I believe this with everything in me that such is the way to life....real life. Waiting because He knows best. Not trying to make something happen in my own strength or just because I think I can will it to happen, but learning the divine art of waiting on God.

Waiting brings me peace...
Waiting comes from trusting God that He will answer me and give me the direction I need to move in.
Waiting comes from exercising my faith, that He knows better than me.
The Scripture from Isaiah tells me that if I wait on God, there is a renewing process that takes place. It must be a physical renewal of my strength, because it goes on to say that I will be able to run, walk and accomplish more than I could in my own efforts.
Doesn't sound like a bad thing does it?

I think I may wait on God today.
How about you?

God on you.....

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...