Saturday, July 15, 2017

C.R. In Centre


Step # 1 --- I am powerless....
Step # 1 / Part II ....My life has become unmanageable...

Romans 7:18
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but hot to perform what is good I do not find.

Last night found me up in Centre, Alabama for Celebrate Recovery at the R.O.C.
This is my thirteenth year to be making this journey. Lot of memories whenever I make the drive up there to speak. Good memories...lots of friends there. Walking into that building is like coming home. It's like being with a friend you haven't seen in a while. You know the kind of friend I'm talking about. No matter how long its been since you were last together, you pick right up where you left off. That is what C.R. fills like to me when ever I'm asked to come back to share and speak...... I get to meet old friends.

It was a great evening, and I got to find out what's been going on at C.R. Centre since the last time I was there. I'm not sure about this, but I think maybe the Centre C.R. has something that you might not find at other C.R.'s. A couple who came through the step studies...dealing with their own junk, found Jesus in a new way and are now living in East Asia.. How cool is that? This couple, Joel and Somer,  sent a video message to the group last night, speaking on the importance of forming relationships with like minded people who are on this road to recovery. I remember Joel from his days of playing in the worship band at C.R. But wowzers!!! Living overseas? There is no end to what God can do in the life of someone who is just crazy enough to climb out of the ditch and walk the path laid out for them. Blessings of the nth degree to Joel and Somer as they live and teach in East Asia. Now that is hard-core good!

After the meeting, I'm standing around speaking with different people as they came up to talk, when a man approached me. He introduced himself, shook my hand and proceeded to tell me his story. His intro was.."I love the way you teach. Haven't heard that style in a long time." Never considered myself to have a style,but I guess I do. This man went on to tell me that he had grown up in Calvary Chapel back in the 70's. He was there when John and Carol Wimber were ministering with Chuck Smith, the senior pastor of Calvary Chapel.. Of all the places in the world to run into some of my history, Centre would not have been on that list. He told me that he really needed to hear not only what I had to say, but the way I said it. That if had brought back so many good memories from his past. 

As I drove back to Attalla, the meeting still fresh in my mine, I was filled with a sense of gratitude for all that God has done in my life, and in the life of my family. The people He has let me meet. The places He lets me go. The times when I get to see Him move on a crowd of people, and lives are changed. All of these are wrapped up in memories I can pull out when times get hard, and remember the goodness and faithfulness of God. Like I said...."It was a good night up in Centre."

God on you....

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...