Thursday, August 10, 2017

Growing Up Is Hard


Matthew 6:33
Seek the Kingdom (the rule and reign of God in our hearts) above all else, and His righteousness (learning to live rightly according to His leading), and He will give you everything you need.

Quote From Hannah Whitall Smith: "What would you think if children had to wrestle an agonize with their parents every morning for their necessary food and clothing? If a child of loving parents should get the idea that its parents would not give it food and clothing unless it earned them in some way, all the sweetness of the relationship between parent and child would be destroyed."

Part of the process in recovery is growth....
Growth that takes place in our world view as we allow God to change our character.
Removing the old defects of character and replacing them with what Scripture refers to as "The fruit of the Spirit".

Such affects the way we view the world, and the way we interact in our daily lives.

We learn to trust God....
I think this may be the hardest part in the entire process of recovery.
Notice that I said it was hard.....
Not impossible.

We are use to running the show....taking the reins....driving the bus when it came to life.
No matter that the show closed early.....the horses ran away....or the bus went into the ditch. We were in control.
Or at least we thought we were.

So part of growth is learning to not listen to or follow those old thoughts that creep in and try to direct us into taking over again.

Lets say we are facing a problem and we don't really have an answer to it....
Such is when I turn to God.
I pray asking Him for a plan that would help me in facing my situation, so that I might not cut and run back to old ways, or give place to old thoughts.
Then I wait....

"Yeah, I know, BUT!"...not but's. Wait.
Trust God that He has your best interest at heart.
Wait!

"But I'm not good at waiting!" Well, who is? I'm not good at it either, but the only way we are going to learn how to trust God for whatever we need is to (are you ready for it?) Trust Him.
I don't need to rush in and tell God...."Thanks for looking out for me, but I'll take it from here." Oh, He'll let you have your problem right back...but if we act in such a manner, we will continue to not allow God to stretch us in our belief's so that trusting comes easier.

Proverbs 4:10-13
My child, listen to Me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. I will teach you wisdom's ways and lead you in straight paths. When you walk, you won't be held back. When you run, you won't stumble. Take hold of my instructions. Don't let them go. Guard them, for they are the key to life.

Proverbs 3:5-8
Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and do not depend (or lean on) your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Don't be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead fear the Lord and turn away from evil. They you will have healing for your body, and strength for your bones.

Let these verses soak way down deep inside.
Read them multiple times and let this truth become a part of your day.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...