Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Our First Bible Study @ Elmo's

Psalm 119:130
The teaching (or unfolding) of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand.

I truly love to teach from God's word. Ain't to good at it, but love to do it just the same. I especially love it when it's a small group where everyone can draw in close. In these intimate times, people are a lot more open to sharing what is on their heart. They will ask questions that might never be voiced in a larger setting. So any opportunity to be a part of something like this is very much on my heart.

In the fall of 2015, I was asked by Shane Elmore to teach at one of his Thursday night meetings for the guys who live in his transitional house. We gathered at the boat dock down below Shane's house for an evening of food, hanging out together and the Word. That evening, God spoke to me (not audibly) in such a way that I knew He wanted me connected to this group. I didn't know what I was to do, or how it was going to work out, I just knew that I was to be a part. Over the next few months, I tried everything. I went over to the compound during the day and hung out, even when no one was there. I went to the Tuesday night and Thursday night meetings, occasionally teaching at them when asked. But no real confirmation as to what my place was, I was to simply be there.

Last Thursday night, I went to the meeting. First one I'd been able to make in a while. It as great! Phillip from U3B was teaching and the guys really were checked in. But last Thursday night, God opened the door and showed me my place there in this group of men. As the meeting opened, Elmo (that's what everyone calls Shane) was sharing about what was happening at the compound, when he suddenly looked at me and said, "You know what, we need a Bible study for the 3rd shift guys who have just gotten off from work. In other words, an early morning Bible study. The minute he said that, once again God spoke and said, "Here it is...here's what you have been sent here to do." You see, I could have run around trying to make something happen there with the guys, but that would have profited no one. But what made better sense than to provide a time of fellowship and teaching with the guys who really don't get to take advantage of the night time meetings available to the others.


So yesterday morning, at 8:30 a.m. sharp, we gathered in St. Elmo's Cathedral to have the first Bible study. There were seven present. Someone had bought a pastry for the meeting, another had made a pot of coffee, still another had brought sugar, creme, cups for the coffee. They were anxious and excited about having this available for them. It was time to start.

After prayer, I asked them to open their Bibles to Genesis 1:1, and read that verse aloud. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". I told them that this was the doorway to the Bible and you could never progress in your journey until you truly came to grips with what this verse says. It speaks of a God who possesses more power and ability that we can truly grasp or understand. I asked for a show of hands of those who truly believed in Genesis 1:1. All the hands went up. So then I asked them, "If you truly believe that God possesses that kind of power....the ability to speak into existence everything we see, touch, taste, smell and hear,....then why do you doubt that He can speak into your life and change you?" The lights seem to come on as that statement sunk in.

For thirty minutes we shared back and forth about this verse from Genesis. My goal in the Bible study, to which I shared with the men, was to give them one thing that would stick with them, that they could ponder on and keep in their hearts. I think God did just that. So at the end of the study I asked if they wanted to do this on a weekly basis. The answer was a resounding "YES!"
We will be meeting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Keep us in your prayers if you would, that God's word would continue to be unfolded for these men, and for me. It was a good day!

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...