Saturday, December 9, 2017

Putting Up The Bynum Christmas Tree


Put up our Christmas tree yesterday.....
Snow falling outside only made it seem more like this was the right thing to do.
For years we put our tree up on the 15th of December. Never was one to do the "day after Thanksgiving" tree-putting-up. Now, there isn't anything wrong with whatever day you pick to put your tree up...it's just my own personal thoughts as to the appropriate time to have such an occasion.


If you walked into our home and saw our tree and all the decorations, you might think to yourself, "Why it looks so old." And you would be right. You see, our tree is not only a Christmas tree, but it is also a memory tree. That is the wonderful part of Christmas that we get to enjoy each year. As we hang the ornaments, we share the memories that we have about the ornament.

We have several that were made by patients who came to Vicki's office. Incredible pieces of work that took much time to make them. One is a small white heart that is covered in sequins. Vicki named the woman who had made it, and shared that it took her hours to every sequin in place. There were ornaments that were hand painted, and signed on the back by the person who had made it. Like I said, each ornament held a story.


My favorite of all the decorations are probably the messiest....
They are cut out pictures that had been hand colored....
There is one of the baby Jesus lying in the manger. Now this Jesus is sporting a bright red blanket...I mean red...I mean 'hurt your eyes" kind of red. Nothing dull about this baby's birth. This particular decoration was created by my son Josh. Dated 1980, that would mean that he was 3 years old when he created this masterpiece.

Then there is a paper cut out Christmas bell, tied at the top with green felt rope. This was created by my son Chad. He had mastered the art of staying between the lines...and as I hung it, I could picture him in my mind when he was my little boy. Chad was, and still is, passionate about what ever he is tackling at the moment. Whether it was G.I. Joes, Star War figures, or NFL football cards, Chad would jump in with both feet and study to know everything he could about his current interest. Even today, we have a STAR WARS Trivial pursuit game that the rest of the family refuses to play because no one can beat Chad. What we do now is simply take the box of cars and read them to him so we can all marvel at his wisdom concerning the Empire and the Rebellion. What a guy!

Of course no Christmas-tree-putting-up ceremony would be complete with Tennessee Ernie Ford's "STAR CAROL" album. A staple in my family's tree trimming when I was a wee lad. Come to think of it, I don't ever believe I was "wee" anything.My mom and dad loved this album, and it played continuously during the Christmas season. I am a sentimentalist and I make no apology for it. 

Tree trimmed....
We turn off all the lights so we can officially light up our tree.
Drum roll......
"TA-DA!!!!!"

The room is bathed in the glow of our tree.....
The memories come rolling off that tree as Vicki and I catch each one.
I become full to the point that a tear forms in the corner of my eye, and rolls down my cheek.
As she and I look at each other, we smile a smile that can only come from sharing a life together. Without saying one word, we both acknowledge that God has blessed us and our family beyond anything we could ever imagine.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.....

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...