Monday, July 2, 2018



Genesis 11:3
Then they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks..........."

Seems like we humans have an innate ability to want to run the show when it comes to our lives. We don't really like anyone or anything that tries to tell us what to do or how to do it. As a man, I have a distrust (not to mention a dislike) of anything that comes with instructions. Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions! Three hours later, after I've made a mess, if you listen closely as you drive by my house you'll hear...."Honey! What did I do with those instructions?"

The verse from Genesis about making bricks is a good example of this selfish determination that seems to define the human race. Back up from Chapter 11 to Chapter 9 verse 1 and you'll see God giving Noah and company a mission. Simple one too.
"Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth." In order to fill the earth, you'd have to spread out...move forward....don't stay in one spot. But by the time we get to chapter 11, the people have decided to stop and build a city. Not only do they stop, but they dig their heels in and say, "We ain't going no farther....Here WE will build a city for OURSELVES. WE will make bricks. WE will make us a tower that will reach to the heavens. Oh yeah...one last thing.."We will make a name for ourselves". Forget you God...we're going to take it from here.

Flash forward to 2018.....
Guess what?
We're still operating under that mindset today.
One of living for self...

Rejecting God...
Trying to build a life, only the introduction of drugs and alcohol keeps us from building doodly-squat. In fact we have a tendency to do the opposite of build. We develop some extraordinary skills that cause us to tear down everything and everyone around us.
I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I've learned on thing on this journey we call life. God's instructions are pretty easy to understand, and definitely more beneficial to me than my own destructive ways.

Proverbs 2:6-9
For the Lord gives wisdom.
From His mouth comes knowledge and understanding.
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright.
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly.
He guards the paths of justice,
and preserves the way of His saints (followers)
Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.

God wants to freely give this wisdom, knowledge and understanding to all who turn will and life over to His care. Seems to me that turning to Him would prove more productive than say......trying to make bricks to build a mess of my own doing. I heard a man say that "He was a a self-made man...but somewhere along the way, he'd lost the blueprints."
God never loses the blueprint of our life. Maybe I need to let Him build me.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...