Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Going Home Part 4287



Psalm 119:130
The unfolding of Your words gives light. It gives understanding to the simple.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and the hearing by the word of God.

Sometimes God will throw you a curve ball when in fact you were watching for a slider or a change up. Don't understand the why in His ways, but then such thoughts are way beyond my pay grade.

Saturday night at VRC, I had some men come up to me who wanted to talk. These were guys who were in Phase II Part of the treatment at Rapha. We chatted for a brief moment, when out of no where one of them ask me a question.  "Would you consider coming out to Rapha and teaching us through a Bible study?" Didn't see that one coming. As soon as he asked me this, I knew that God was speaking. You see, I'd left Rapha some time back because I felt that God said my time there was up. Did I miss it? Was I have supposed to stay? I don't think so. I think I heard correctly.

You see, I have felt that ever since I left the staff at Rapha, anything I do is for the men and not the program. When I was the staff Pastor, I was all about the program....how it was run....I protected the program when someone came in, I let them know that they were not "trying" Rapha out to see if it worked...The program worked. But such thoughts and behaviors changed in 2013 when I left to return to the Vineyard. The program was in good hands...they didn't need me to defend them. My call was no longer to a specific place, but rather the call was to the men....those who wanted to hear the word of God. Those who wanted to take that next step not only in recovery, but also in a relationship with Jesus. So to be asked to come and teach a Bible study was an invitation by God to extend the presence of the Kingdom.

Tonight I will turn off highway 77 onto that long stretch of road that leads to Rapha. I'll make that turn, see the cross and the pond as I've done thousands of times prior to tonight. I'll pull into that compound and make my way to a classroom. It will be like coming home. So I ask for your prayers that the word and will of God be heard and done tonight. That what is said and taught is not just me flapping my gums, but that the message would be the heart of God brought to light and offered to anyone who would receive.

I've never considered myself to be a great teacher or expositor of the Word. I do believe that God has given me a gift to be able to translate into simple language the scriptures. I tend to come from the Dr. J. Vernon McGee school of teaching. Dr. McGee use to say "Put the cookies on the bottom shelf where everyone can get to them."  Young, old, simple or intellectual..the word is for everyone.

I'll let you know how the study turns out....
God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...