Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How Did He Do That?

Genesis 6:22
Thus Noah did according to all that God commanded him, so he did.

Genesis 7:5
And Noah did according to all that the Lord commanded him.

I read those verses and the same thought keeps coming to my mind.
"How'd he do that?"
I am puzzled because of the differences between the time Noah lived and the time and space I currently occupy.
Noah didn't have the luxuries that our time has.
He didn't have a printed Bible. The Bible didn't even exist during Noah's day. Oh sure......He was living it out and everyday was part of the mosaic that would be put down in print for generations and centuries to read.
Noah didn't have media such as television or radio or computers and I-phones. There wasn't such as thing as 24 hour-a-day Christian TV (to be honest with you after watching it, I'm not so sure that we have 24 hour-a-day Christian TV.
There weren't any churches.
There weren't any group's to meet with for support.

I think Noah truly shows me an example that may be the heart of relationship. Noah had God! Or should I say "God had Noah!".
It's pretty simple. Noah "walked" with God. That means (I think) every moment Noah shunned the things of the world and turned to God for direction. Now he may have done so out of fear, or out of repulsion for what he saw going on around him, but whatever reason, Noah made a decision to walk with God. This decision brought grace to Noah. I like the way Genesis 6:8 puts it; "Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord". The idea that God's attention would be turned to Noah because of Noah's heart was for God speaks volume's.

Noah found.
What he found was not lost. It had been there waiting for Noah to stumble upon it, but it took Noah's determination not to be a part of the evil of the world to uncover this grace. I'm not smart enough to determine which came first----the chicken or the egg. Same here; which came first? Grace or Noah finding it. Truth is, it could be like the Scripture where God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham was going about the business of preparing the sacrifice. What Abraham didn't know was that on the back side of the mountain where he and Isaac were, a ram was making his way to the top. It wasn't until the moment arrived where Abraham's heart was revealed, that the ram showed up and God ordered Abraham to kill it for the sacrifice. We don't see the things God has provided until the time for their need is upon us.

All I know is that I want to be like Noah and "do all according to God's commands".

God on you.......

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...