Sunday, July 20, 2008

Last Night

Psalm 42:8
.........And in the night His song shall be with me----a prayer to the God of my life.

I'm always a bit hesitant after we have a really intense service where God is ministering to those who have come to be a part (such as last Saturday's service). There is a stirring of our emotions simply because we are creatures of emotion. The danger for me comes when I set out (whether intentionally or not) to recreate something that happened in order for God to come again. Last night was the case. I kept pushing that thought back...."Go ahead....you can recreate it...sing songs that were similar......play the same guitar......do the service in the same order." I'm not attributing this to the devil as it was probably more my flesh than anything.

So, that being said, we set about to gather and worship.

Songs that were chosen for worship seem to focus on our gratitude for what Jesus has done for us. From the cross to the throne, He walked out the call of His Father to be the "Lamb who takes away the sins of the world". Everything seem to blow the roof off when we sang "You Have Redeemed My Soul." There was a sense of freedom that came to the room as worship took place.

Seth Barber spoke on the narrow way to life and the broad way to death.
Very somber word, but powerful.
Seth has a way of speaking plain and simple. A no frills message that was completely the heart of the Gospel. Seth has lived the words that he teaches. He has been redeemed from the pit of death. He has been given new life and carries around a gratitude for God's gift.

Ministry was powerful.
Nine men came forward to be saved.
We don't lead a sinner's prayer. We encourage each man to confess to God in their words. God looks at the heart and intent. Sometimes I think the church falls to heavy on "say these words". Almost as if it were a magic formula or a mystical spell, spoken with no thought as to the state of the heart.
As we prayed over the men, there were tears......many tears. One man stood with face downward, tears streaming from his eyes, praying..."Oh Jesus forgive me, Oh Jesus forgive me, Oh Jesus forgive me."

Saturday night is a different breed of church. That doesn't mean it's better.....just different. I think it has something to do with the fact that Saturday use to be the "devil's" night in the lives of these men. This was the night for getting high and all manner of evil. Now it is becoming a night for God.

Until next time....
Keep praying for all of us here at Rapha.

mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I heard the message preached this Sunday morning...it's not Biblical to accept Jesus...you can't make Jesus Lord...he is Lord! I believe that. A sinners prayer has to come from the heart! Many have been deceived by trusting in a formula instead of Jesus!

Greene Street Letters said...

Yet I find myself like a salmon going up stream against the opinion of the "church".
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...