Sunday, August 23, 2009

Let It Be So, Lord!

Last night's festivities of our High School reunion only served to underscore truth that I hold dear to my heart.
It was wonderful to see everyone and spend time talking and sharing memories of our time together at Etowah High School, but with a lot of my former classmates, there was a real sadness to their voices and their stories. Their faces didn't reveal this sadness as they were smiles and giggles and hugs all around, but the tone of what they shared let me know that maybe life didn't turn out like they had planned. Isn't that the way it always is? We have these really big plans and ideas about what we want to do and how we want to be and then situations and circumstances seem to thwart us at every turn.

I never was good at making plans.
By that, I mean long range goals or visions of what I hoped to accomplished. I am a "today" person. Always have been. I seem to thrive in the moment and adjust myself accordingly. This behavior is central to anyone in recovery from drugs and alcohol. One day at a time. Cliche' but very true. You take care of today and if you do that successfully, then your tomorrow is set up for you to succeed.

Last night's gathering only drove home the point that we don't have much time left here on this earth. Now, I'm not trying to be morbid or a harbinger of death, I just am stating a fact. We have less time now than when we graduated back in 1969. I want my time to be spent "being" the man God created me to be and do what He desires for me to do. Simple as that. Listen today and obey today.

If the truth be known, I would like for myself the description given in the last verse of the book of Job.
It describes Job this way:
"And so he died, old and full of years."
Isn't that a great line...........Old and full of years.
He died satisfied. The events and misery of his life was replaced in the later years by the goodness of God. That is my heart's cry, that is to simply die old and full of years.
I want to see my grand children grow up, finish school and have families of their own.
I want to see my sons and daughters grow deeper in their love for God and for each other.
I want to see my wife continue to grow in the place God has her.
I tell you that I truly am the richest man on this earth.
God has blessed me beyond measure.
Thank you Lord.
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

You're one on the most successful men I know. May God give you your hearts desires!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...