Sunday, August 2, 2009

Oh What A Night...

We had visitation at Rapha yesterday. Families come to be with their husbands, Fathers or sons. There are kids running everywhere: to fish, to play ball, to simply be near their dad's. I love visitation because you get to see a side of the men who come through the program that you don't see during the week.

Last night's service was really good and with each one that passes, we are learning what God is trying to do with us. We are turning into a time of celebration and testimony. A time where the group gets to share and add what God is doing in their life. It doesn't have to be about me and some teaching that I have. Being the pastor, I am the least important part of this equation. I am merely to help guide and facilitate the group.

Shane Elmore came back and as always, had something to share. Shane is a true work and evidence that God can bring a life back from the edge. Shane didn't really want to be at Rapha when he first got there. He was consumed with his girlfriend and what was going on in the outside world. He didn't really care about getting sober and learning how to live life on God's terms. But that all changed. Shane was caught with a cell phone which is a major offense. After much deliberation, the staff decided to send Shane back through the 7 week program. This got his attention and dedicated himself to the task of finding this God and doing what He said to do. Since leaving Rapha, Shane has started a Celebrate Recovery in his home town and oversees it. He makes a circuit of celebrate recovery's in other churches and helps any way he can. He truly is proof of what Rapha stands for.When Shane speaks to our group, he carries some weight since he has "been there / done that".

The worship music was right on as each song seem to speak to the room. Debbie Handy, Wayne Wimpee, Barry Hooks and I comprised the worship team. We have been playing together at Rapha for 3 years and have become comfortable with each other to the point that we can follow each other should the Holy Spirit take us off into new areas during the middle of a song.
I guess my favorite part was when we sang "I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW". The room came alive and the guys did not hold back as they sang. Like I said at the first, it was a good night.

The verse we used last night:
Revelation 12:11
And they have overcome (conquered) him by the means of the blood of the Lamb and by the utterance of their testimony, for they did not love and cling to life even when face with death (holding their lives cheap til they had to die for their witnessing).

As is the custom each week, as I closing the door to the chapel, I look back into the room thanking God for letting us be together and for what He had done there tonight. My last thought is always, "Boy God! How are you going to top that next week?"
He does....

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...