Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Welcome To The Wonderful World of "600's"


Number 600 + 1......
That is the number of today's posting......601.
I never really set out to post that many times.
On an earlier blog I think I reached 700 +
In fact this blog (GREENE STREET LETTERS) started out under the name of
The Church@Rapha. After a number of month's I felt that I was to rename to the original name of the newsletter I use to mail out back in the mid 90's.
I think, for me, one of the things I really enjoy doing is going back and reading postings from the archive's. Seeing what was going on months ago. Read how God answered a prayer or run across a posting and suddenly have all these memories of why I wrote that particular one.
Page 601 in my Bible is II Kings 1.
In this particular chapter we read and get an introduction to the prophet Elijah.
King Ahaziah has had a terrible accident and is dying. He sends messengers to inquire from Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron and ask whether or not the king will live.
As the kings boy's made their way, they ran into Elijah ( only because the angel of the Lord came to Elijah and gave him a heads up. "Go meet the King's boys).
When the two had met, Elijah asked them, "Hey guys...are you taking this trip to Ekron because there is no GOD in Israel..hmmm?" Elijah gives them the skinny to take back to the king. "Don't come down from your bed because you are going to die."
The king wanted to know who would say such a thing. "Describe him to me," said the king.
"Well............he was a hairy man with a leather belt." The king said, "It is Elijah the Tishbite". The king was familiar with ol' Lijah. If you are the king though, these really aren't words you want to hear, are they?" That you are not going to get well but will die upon your bed. I don't think so.
How many times have we received from God only to discredit what He was doing or telling us simply because we did not want to hear it. It was too hard of a thing to hear, or it was not what we wanted to hear. I know that I have done this. Yet the problem with all of this behavior is that it does not stop or slow what God has spoken. My unbelief does not lessen what God is doing in any way.
I really like Job's attitude on that terrible day when he kept getting hit from every direction with bad news. Every time someone showed up at Job's door, they brought terrible news of destruction and death. It was so overwhelming that Job tore his clothes and simply sat down in the dust and worshipped. I don't know if there was a lot of up beat praise and boisterous singing going on. Probably a lot of weeping and rocking back and forth, but in the midst of it all Job says those incredible words................."The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord." Wow! No matter what comes my way, good or bad, the Lord is to be blessed and praised and worshipped.
Think on these things today.........
God on you........
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

God is truly good! I thank God for the wisdom he's given you.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...