Monday, May 17, 2010

Me?

Me?
I'm not an intellectual. Not dumb either. I try to be informed but realize that information is not the key to power.
Me?
I'm not a theologian. My theology is very simple. Jesus is who He says He is. I use present tense because He exist in present tense. He is here, He is now. Don't have to prove it, I believe it and know, via the change in my own life and the way He has directed me and my wife over the years, that this is real truth. Nothing has made more sense and been backed up more times during my lifetime than Jesus and His Word (some call it the Bible).
Me?
I'm not a power broker to our society. I don't aspire to hold a political office nor do I see much good in it. There are those who argue that the call of the church is a social call. They expend vast amounts of energy and money to right social ills in this country. They do good work but I don't know that I would focus solely on that. Yes, Jesus called us to feed the poor, visit the sick and the ones in jail. To clothe those who have no clothes, but He also commanded (not suggested) that we make disciples. I don't know how good the church has been at that. Truth be known, in 12 years of being here at Rapha, with disciple making as a focus, I have probably only seen a handful of men who actually could be classified as disciples. Does that mean I'm a failure? I do accept responsibility, but to carry around this idea that everyone will be a disciple is not very valid.
Just because you attend a 10 week teaching on discipleship doesn't make you a disciple. To be a disciple is a commitment that never ends. There are times I want to quit and run away (to the circus if I thought it would help) but the call to follow Jesus won't let me. A disciple is someone who has taken the call of Jesus to heart and lives it out daily where ever they may be. It does more than consume their thoughts, it invades their very heart so that a "divine" restlessness is always just below the surface. This restlessness keeps one from becoming apathetic or complacent. These two are the enemies of anyone who is a disciple of Jesus.

Find out the truth for yourself today.
Let us pray for each other that we may grow today a little more like Jesus.
God on you......
mb

The message from last Saturday night is not ready for download.
I will try to get it up before the week is out.

Thanks....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...